Trane Heat Pump tstat replacement with Honeywell prog - wiring question

Old 10-01-06, 07:42 PM
Trane Heat Pump tstat replacement with Honeywell prog - wiring question

I want to replace my Trane Weathertron tstat with a Honeywell RTH7400 prog one. I have a Trane heat pump with aux heat. I've been poring over these thread piece-mealing some info the follow is the result.

The old wiring scheme:
X2 - black
O - orange
G - green
Y - yellow
T - tan/brown
R - red
W - white
U - n/a
F - n/a
B - Blue

The honeywell has the following options along with my current wiring in () as see on this forum.
C - (blue)
G - (green)
Y - (yellow)
O/B - (orange)
RC - jumper with R
R - red
AUX - white
E - tan
L - black

Results:
Power runs to the tstat and fan blows on command in manual temp mode but the heat doesn't seem to be produced.

Can anyone cofirm the correct wiring above ?

Thanks in advance,

sep23

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-06, 03:23 PM
Take the tan wire off the E terminal and cap off. It is no longer need with the new t-stat.Take your black wire and put it on the E term. Everything else seems to be OK. Does the heat pump run? With your new T-stat there is a delay between the heat pump and the Aux heat , And the t-stat must be turned up at least 2 deg above room temp to get the Aux heat to come on. BTW..Does you unit operate properly in the cooling mode ?

Old 10-02-06, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. Ok, I made the changes and nothing changed. Fan only starts in "fan on" mode. "Fan auto" mode does nothing. In heat mode I jacked the temp to at least 5 degrees higher and waited at least 5 mins with no results. In cool mode same thing happens. Something is still off.

Old 10-03-06, 04:17 AM
trane heat pump

is your back up heat gas of electric? Trane air handlers require the G wire to be energized for all modes of operation, look for a swith on your new thermostat that converts it to gas back up or electric, this honeywell may have an installer set up that you have to go through to adress the thermostat to your aplication, if you can't find the set up instructions, call the 1-800 #.

Old 10-03-06, 06:46 AM
Thanks. Oh right...my HVAC system is all electric. When you say "installer set up" do you mean a I have call a qualified installer to figure this out or is there an installer mode on the unit that I must configure? I think the latter but just wanted to make sure.

Old 10-03-06, 02:46 PM
I think is what he meant was in the directions there is a set up intructions. Did you get a Installation CD-Rom with yours ? I beleive is what you have is a Universal type t-stat that needs to be setup to match the type of system that you have. This can be done in the program in the t-stat.

Old 10-03-06, 05:24 PM
Oh ok. That's what I thought. I will check the CD again. Thx.

Old 10-03-06, 07:28 PM
Works!

Ah now is makes sense. The "configure installer" as it is called was in the documentation that I had to find on the HW website. I'm surprised I didn't see any mention of it on the CD or the booklet that came with the unit. Seems like the most important part of the unit.
Anyway thanks guys for your help.

Old 01-06-07, 05:25 PM
Angry Replacing a Trane Weathertron Baystat239A with Honeywell RTH7400

I'm having a similar problem. After calling the Honeywell help line and talking to Ryan in India, I wired the RTH7400 as follows:

X2 (black) to E
O (orange) to O/B
G (green) to G
Y (yellow) to Y
T (tan) to nothing, taped off
R (red) to R
U (white) to AUX
B (blue) to C

I went through the System setup following the manual and making the changes that Ryan said to make, Function 0170 to 7 Multi-stage heat pump;
0190 to 0 and 0270 to 0 Electric Furnace.

The fan won't come on.......any suggestions before I take this thing back to Lowes and get my money back?

Old 01-07-07, 11:12 AM
Angry Now, no thermostat voltage

I put the old thermostat back on and guess what? Nothing works. No voltage on any terminal. Did I short out the transformer or is there a breaker somewhere in the system (outside unit or inside unit)?

Old 01-13-07, 07:44 PM
Look in the AH case for a auto type blade fuse. Should be hanging with 2 wires on it.

Old 03-10-07, 08:51 PM
Trane Baystat239A to Honeywell TH8320 Wiring Map

I'm no HVAC person, but here's what I did to successfully replace my Baystat239A to a Honeywell TH8320 in terms of wiring:

1. Power down the unit as recommended

2. Applied the following wiring conversion:
X2 Black E
O Orange O/B
G Green G
Y Yellow Y
T Tan (Not Used)
R Red R
W White AUX
B Blue C

3. Powered on unit.

4. Ran through the installer setup process to let it know it was a 2H/1C system with Auxiliary Heat (this is *not* its default setting).

5. Tested system.

I must admit, it was a bit confusing at first and I did a bunch of web searches to piece together my game plan because the terminals on the Baystat were not labeled the same as the Honeywell. Indeed, I may have gotten lucky on the first go but here is one thread that influenced my final decision:
http://www.hvacmechanic.com/forums/resservice/messages/14121.htm (which talks about Trane using B (or Blue) for common and X2 (or Black) for Emergency Heat). Process of elimination made Orange for O/B the logical choice and somewhere I found reference that White should be AUX.

In any event, I'm sure there's a situations where this may not work for someone else (depending on how it is wired at the Heat Pump), so use at your own risk :-)

Regards,
TS

Old 10-01-07, 08:41 PM
Day Late and a dollar short but it should help out any future users having this issue..

I have a Trane Weathertron Multi Stage Heat Pump and here is how I set mine up and everything is working how it should be.

STEP 1: Flip the breakers to disable power to the unit

STEP 2: WIREING: (Trane BAYSTAT239A Panel - Wire Color - Honeywell RTH7400 Panel) NOTE: If your setup doesn't look like this, refer to the Installation guide for alternate wire settings
------------------------------------------------------------
X2 - Black - E
O - Orange - O/B
G - Green - G
Y - Yellow - Y
T - Tan/Brown - Taped off and not used
R - Red - R (Ensure the jumper is in place for tieing R and Rh together)
W - White - W
B - Blue - C
U - Not Used
F - Not Used

STEP 3: RESTORE POWER
---------------------
1. Reset the brakers to turn the unit on.
2. Insert 2 AA Batteries in the back of the Honeywell face plate
3. Pull the tab from the back of the face plate
4. Plug the face plate into the backplate ensureing no bare wires are touching

STEP 3: SETTINGS NOTE:These are the settings I used, you may have to change them for you unit if these don't work, refer to the Installation guide starting on page 18
----------------
1. Press the "up" and "down" arrows to set the month
2. Press the "next" button
3. Press the "up" and "down" arrows to set the day
4. Press the "next" button
5. Press the "up" and "down" arrows to set the year
6. Press the " done" button
7. Press the "system" button
8. Press and hold the "fan" button until "0120 xx" appears on the screen (Year Change Pt1 setting)

- Press the "up" and "down" arrows to set the first 2 digits of the year

9. Press the "next" button and "0130 xx" will appear(Year Change Pt2 setting)

- Press the "up" and "down" arrows to set the last 2 digits of the year

10. Press the "next" button and "0140 xx" will appear(Month setting)

- Press the "up" and "down" arrows to set the month

11. Press the "next" button and "0150 xx" will appear(Day setting)

- Press the "up" and "down" arrows to set the day

12. Press the "next" button and "0170 xx" will appear(Heat system setting)

- Press the "up" and "down" arrows to select option 7

13. Press the "next button and "0190 xx" will appear(Heat Pump Changover Valve setting)

- Press the "up" and "down" arrows to select option "0"

14. Press the "next button and "0270 xx" will appear(Emergency heat cycle setting)

- Press the "up" and "down" arrows to select option "9" if your furnace(heating only) is electric or option "5" if is gas

15. Press the "next button and "0320 xx" will appear(Temp format setting)

- Press the "up" and "down" arrows to select option "0" if you want your temp to be displayed in Fahrenheit or option "1" to be displayed in Celsius

16. Press the "next button and "0330 xx" will appear (DST setting)

- Press the "up" and "down" arrows to select option "0" if you don't want to set Daylight Savings Time, option "1" if you don't follow the new 2007 Daylight Savings Time or option "3" if you do follow the new 2007 Daylight Savings Time

17. Press the "next button and "0500 xx" will appear (Filter Change Reminder setting)

- Press the "up" and "down" arrows to select option "0" for no reminder, option "1" for 1 month, option "2" for 3 months, option "3" for 6 months, option "4" for 9 months, option "5" for 1 year and option "6" for 3 years

17. Press the "next button and "0530 xx" will appear (Smart Response setting)

- Press the "up" and "down" arrows to select option "0" for "on" or option "2" for "off"

19. Press the "next button and "0640 xx" will appear (12 or 24 hour display setting)

- Press the "up" and "down" arrows to select option "12" for "12 Hour Display" or option "24" for "24 Hour Display"

20. Press the "Done" Button

Refer to the Operating Manual for programing the day and temp settings. After you get them set, alter the temp to test both the heating and cooling features.

Old 10-09-07, 02:36 PM
I'm having the same problem with my Trane XE 1000. I wired in a Honeywell RTH 3100 and it worked fine the first time. I had to take it back down too put up the drywall and when I reconnected the Honeywell I got nothing. Talked with a girl in India and she told me how too wire it correctly and still no power to anything. I found the fuse on the air handler power supply blown, changed it and put the old T-stat back up and got the air handler back on line but still no luck with the heat pump. I've got a BAYSTAT240A wired like this:

White = W
Yellow = Y
Red = R
Orange = O
Blue = B
Brown = T
Green = G

Black is hooked up to X2 but the other end at the air handler has never been wired to anything. I check the circuit board in the air handler and the wire connections all match.

Does anyone have any idea why my heat pump wont come on???

Old 01-09-11, 12:52 PM
Old and New Wiring

Replacing the old Trane Thermostat with a
Honeywell Digital Thermostat

Old Trane Thermostat Model: BAYSTAT239A
New Honeywell Thermostat Model: TH5220D

Old Terminal<-->Wire Color<-->Purpose
B <--> Blue <--> Common
F <--> No Conn.
U <--> No Conn.
W <--> White <--> Aux Heat
R <--> Red <--> Hot
T <--> Tan (Brown) <--> Thermostat
Y <--> Yellow <--> Compressor
G <--> Green <--> Fan
O <--> Orange <--> Cool (Change Over)
X2 (Jumped to W) <--> White <--> Emergency Heat

New Terminal<-->Wire Color<-->Purpose
C <--> Blue <--> Common
AUX <--> White <--> Aux Heat
R & Rc (Jumped Together) <--> Red <--> Hot
Y <--> Yellow <--> Compressor
G <--> Green <--> Fan
O/B <--> Orange <--> Cool (Change Over)
E (Jumped to AUX) <--> White <--> Emergency Heat
*** Tan (Brown) <--> Thermostat <--> No Conn.

New Honeywell Thermostat Configuration:
* 2 Heat/1 Cool

This is how I connected and everything works perfectly.

Last edited by Lalith; 01-09-11 at 01:15 PM.