Repair, Replace and/or Resize???

Old 10-14-06, 09:51 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question Repair, Replace and/or Resize???

I've got a house (built in 1994) with 2875 sq. ft. of living space, with an additional 750 sq.ft. unfinished bonus room (NOT presently heated) in the Vancouver, WA area (98685). I plan on selling this property within 2-3 years.

It has R-38 insulation in the ceiling, 6" wall cavities (Interior & Exterior) are insulated ("R" value unknown) and both the 1st & 2nd floors have 10" insulation bats throughout.

The house has 428 sq. ft. of low-E window glass (includes 2 each 2'x4' [South-facing]skylights).

It's ducting consists of 6" I.D. insulated flex at each of the ducts...10/upstairs and 10/downstairs. There is a 1 large air return, on each floor, to the air handler.

The PRESENT (All-Electric) SYSTEM is:
.TRANE XE1000 heat pump...(model# TWR048C 100A1).
.TRANE Air Handler....(model# TWE048C 140[8/B]2).
.HONEYWELL Electronic Air Cleaner.
.HONEYWELL "Fuel Saver" Thermostat (T8611G.R/
Chronotherm III).

The PROBLEM is that the 12 year old heat pump compressor is "burnt out" and must be replaced for system to work. This equipment has never been adequate during the hottest and/or coldest times of the year. There has been a persistent problem of R22 leakage since it was installed. The actual leak was finally located by the last technician, who has suggested that the system is undersized and because of its age (and present "condition") should be replaced with new and more efficient system. He is a service-only technician who doesn't sell new equipment. However, he , if "ordered to", could repair the existing setup for approx $1500.

The QUESTION(s) are...should I:

. Repair/Replace the same-sized compressor, misc. parts, and
fix the leak (to keep costs @ a minimum)?

.Repair/Replace the compressor w/ a 5-ton unit and 5-ton coil, misc.
parts and fix the leak?

.Replace wih a NEW 5-ton energy-efficient TRANE heat pump
and matching coil for the 2875 sq. ft. living space?

.Replace with a NEW 5-ton energy-efficient TRANE air handler/coil
(perhaps, with 2-speed motor that could be used to
help with the to-be-finished-in-the-distant-future "bonus
room" [750 sq.ft.]???

I presented as much information, as I have at hand, so that your recommendations would be as accurate as possible.

Thanks, for taking the time to read this and for your expert recommendation(s).
Your help is really appreciated.

Last edited by tranquilacres; 10-18-06 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 05:47 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would replace the unit if I were you but you will be going from a 4 ton unit to a 5 ton unit so be sure you have proper sized duct to handle this increase and that your returns are properly sized.

You should be able to get some free estimates from local companies and most people will give you a honest opinion on what would work best for you.

Oh and is there any reason you want a TRANE and not any other unit or do you like spending the extra $$$ for the name?

Don't get me wrong a Trane unit is like a mercedes of A/C's but when they break, they are expensive like mercedes to repair lol.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: