single stage or multistage?

Old 10-28-06, 12:10 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy single stage or multistage?

we have a rheem classic heat pump trying to find out if it is single stage or multistage. model# rgde-10eqagsfor inside unit, model # for outside unit rpfb036jas. we bought a honeywell thermostat rth7400d1008 and hope it is the right one. need to know what system type to program into the thermostat. don't know much about heat pumps just moved this is the first one we've had it is about 16yrs old. thanks

Old 10-28-06, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Just stay with the tstat you have now . On this 16 year old unit. Set it and let it alone.

ED

Old 10-29-06, 05:42 AM
G
We already bought the thermostat form ebay and can't return it. Can we use the thermostat we bought? we want a more accurate reading of the temperature in our house.

Old 10-29-06, 06:10 AM
B
Pull the old thermostat off and look at what connections you have. If you havea a Y1 and a Y2 connected then you have a multistage unit, but chances are great that you don't. And also if you set a thermostat up for 2 stage and it is a single stage it won't hurt anything, just when it calls for the second stage to assist, nothing will happen and the unit keeps running just like it always did.

Old 10-29-06, 08:22 AM
G
one last question, do we set the thermostat on single-stage heat pump(no backup or auxiliary heat) or multi-stage heat pump (heat pump with backup or auxiliary heat)? our old thermostat has a switch for emer. heat. This is where we are confused because we have a single stage heat pump. Thanks for all the help

Old 10-29-06, 08:56 AM
B
If you have electric heat strips as an auxillary heat in the air handler then you will set it up for a 2 heat application or in this case you are calling a 2 stage heat.

with a normal heat pump for home application you will have 1 cool 2 heat.

Old 10-30-06, 05:35 PM
G
Question

I have installed my new thermostat. When I set the system type, I set it on setting #7 - Multi-stage heat pump (Heat pump with backup or auxillary heating), However, as soon as the heat kicked on, the thermostat immediatly read that the auxillary heat is on. Once I saw this, I changed the system type to #2 - Heat Pump (Single -stage heat pump with no backup or auxillary heat) When the heat then kicked on, the T-Stat displayed that the heat is on (didn't display auxillary heat on), also, as the heat pump ran, the house temperature would not go up, instead it was losing a degree or two. I've heard that if the auxillary heat is on, your monthly bill will go through the roof?? My question is, should I keep the T-Stat set for a multi-stage heat pump, and if I do, will the auxillary heat stay on all the time??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: