Heat Pump or Separate FAU/Condensor?

Old 11-03-06, 08:39 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump or Separate FAU/Condensor?

We have a 1000 sq.ft. house in San Diego that we are remodeling. There is a roof deck adjacent to the attic and we have very little room to place a separate condensor/compressor unit on the ground. Also, I don't like the idea of a horizontal FAU in the attic. So I was thinking of just putting a 2-ton Heat Pump on the roof deck (properly mounted of course) and running ducts thru the wall into the attic and to the appropriate regisers and grills.

Is this a cost effective way of handling the problem? Suggestions?

Old 11-03-06, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

What you want there is a package heat pump and just run the duct off it. It will be just one unit in all.

ED

Old 11-03-06, 03:59 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any reason you dont want a unit in the attic? Both ways will get the job done the same so long as you make sure whoever cuts that hole in your roof to run the duct down it does a really good job of sealing it off from the weather.

It is rare to see but I have done this for someone like you, put a curb on your rooftop. It is primarily used in commercial settings and it is when the build the roof up about 8-10" so the unit can sit on top of it and seales itself off from the weather and the duct is underneath it. It is more expensive to do it this way but if you have the money it looks alot better. Plug in this link for visual..

Rooftop with Curb = http://www.northmechanical.ca/images/Heat%20Cool%20Rooftop%20Unit.jpg

But then again I don't know if this is goin on a wing or what but I would defintely choose the choice that is going to give the house the most curb appeal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: