Ducane A/C good H/P no heat?

Old 11-04-06, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ducane A/C good H/P no heat?

We have a two year old Ducane combined unit (model number SH10B24P), cools great no problems there anymore. Temps have dropped, now time for heat (thermostat: White-Rogers digital installed by company that installed unit) there is little to no heat. Unit runs constantly, temp on 70 unit will not get above 64-65, emg heat will not blow warm air. I know little about H/P always had gas-pac, but I do know that something is not right. Unit alway running in Aux mode trying to bring indoor temp up. Service person called, pulling eye teeth to get them here. Unit not worth money paid, can you please direct me to what I should look for or watch for if and they show up. Or what I can check for myself, I have some electicial knowledge.
Home is 1100 sf and unit is 2 ton, had several problems, does ice up but did defrost last year (but not cold enough for icing yet), freon was charged beginning of summer, like stated unit cools great, but heating is not working properly. I will mention filters are changed regularly and air circulation around unit is not blocked.
Any help will be gladly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-06, 01:11 PM
Wink

Two year old and put freon in it . Sounds like leak and they should fix it. low charge can be low heat.You need a meter or amprobe to check if all the electric elements come on .
Is big copper line hot as it comes out of the out door unit?

ED

Old 11-04-06, 05:42 PM
Question

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Two year old and put freon in it . Sounds like leak and they should fix it. low charge can be low heat.You need a meter or amprobe to check if all the electric elements come on .
Is big copper line hot as it comes out of the out door unit?

ED
In checking I did not locate a large copper line. Is it located
inside the unit. The unit is not a split unit. It is a combined unit the only lines I see coming out were electrical and tstat lines. Maybe I just don't know what I am looking? They have said Tuesday for repairs if any needed. I do appreciate your reply and any ideas that I should be watching for while they are here if they show up.

Old 11-04-06, 05:50 PM
Question To Ed

Sorry didn't reply in the correct area.
Anyway like I said before in checking couldn't see a copper line only electrical and tstat lines. The unit is a combinded unit not split, would it be located inside of the unit or maybe I just don't know what I am looking at. They say tuesday for repairs, I would appreciate any guidance in what I should ask them or watch for them to do. That is if they show up this time.
Thanks!

Old 11-04-06, 06:06 PM
Wink

It would be hard for you to find tht copper line in the unit there. Does the unit have a air filter in it or do you have one in the home?

ED

Old 11-04-06, 06:15 PM
Other than the return air filter I don't believe it does, and we don't have an air filtration system in our home. Would one improve our units preformance if we can get it working right?

Old 11-05-06, 10:33 PM
Wink

Just the one filter is good new one every 30 to 90 days. Im still back to a leak and low on freon . they should fix it.

ED

Old 11-06-06, 06:13 AM
Thanks for your suggestion, what should the poundage be for the freon? So I can check and be sure when they are here (?) so that I know it isn't overfilled or underfilled. I will be watching. (If and when they show up)

As for the filter, I change it every 30 days when the good old electric bills comes. A practice that everyone should do. Would eliminate a lot of problems with units.

Thanks again. (Cold in these parts)

Old 11-06-06, 05:42 PM
Wink

Check on the name plate it should say the Lb of freon

Old 11-06-06, 07:22 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for all your thoughts, I will let you know how it turns out.
I really appreciate your time.

Old 11-07-06, 10:37 AM
Wink Problem solved

UNIT NO GOOD!!!!! wiring issues, heat strips not getting current with all wires connected, defrost panel needs replacing again.
Freon was at perfect level.

Unit will be replaced and it will not be with a DUCANE!!!!!!!!
Again, thanks for all your suggestions.