Space heater for child's room

Old 11-05-06, 11:28 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Space heater for child's room

I need to get a small space heater to provide supplemental heat in a child's room. Safety is the #1 concern. What is the safest type of heater I can use? What should I avoid?

Thanks

Old 11-05-06, 12:17 PM
C
I don't have any experience with them, but the econo-heat panels are pretty good from what I have heard. I think these still plug in, but are supposed to stay cool to the touch and be paintable. They do however require a wall mounting.

It this is a long term solution, some kind of permanant installation such as baseboard heat would be a good idea.

Whatever you do, get something intended for long-term use that doesn't get too hot to the touch. You don't want to put in a $20 fan operated heater and expect to run it 24X7.

Old 11-05-06, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If you are talking gas here make sure to get a vent kind. In no way get a vent less gas heater

Old 11-06-06, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Good point Ed, we really don't know what type of heater you are referring to.

For an electric one I have to agree with chandltp in that you would do well to install a permanent one.
Plug in electric heaters are meant to be a temporary heating solution. Temporary being a day or so.
These are notorious for staring fires and if you have a toddler there is a risk of him/her messing with it.
One major defect that I have seen with most plug in heaters is the poor construction of the plug.
Most heaters I have used when operated continuously make the plug end and receptacle noticeably warm.
Any portable heaters I have will get an immediate beheading of the plug end and a heavy duty one installed to replace it.

If gas I'll echo Ed's comment to get a vented heater that has a chimney or side wall vent to outside.

Old 11-06-06, 05:17 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Most warn against the use of a space heater in a child's room. A child should never be left alone in a room with a space heater. Too, space heaters should not be left on all night. Warm p.j.'s and an extra blanket are better than taking a safety risk when it comes to children.

Old 11-27-06, 06:48 AM
S
Originally Posted by SMSTRB
Hi,

There are two small space heaters that can be hung on the wall away from little hands. One is ceramic and the other is micathermic.

You can read more about these and other small space heaters at:
http://alternative-heating-info.com

great link and information.. thanks!!!.. i had be looking at an oil-filled but will definitely review micathermic and ceramic options.

Old 11-27-06, 10:23 AM
S
You might also be able to play around with your current configuration. I have an 8 month old that constantly kicks his covers off at night. Our heat is gas, forced air. In several other rooms on his end of the house, I closed off half of the registers, but left both registers in his room wide open. It made enough of a difference to convince me not to buy a space heater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: