Goodman wire colors/heat stages

Old 11-08-06, 10:59 AM
Goodman wire colors/heat stages

I'm rewiring a thermostat and am trying to figure out how goodman labels the two different heat stages. One stage is the heat pump and the other is the electric emergency heat. I've got W2 and E on the old thermostat and W1 and W2 on the new one. Should the white wire be to W2, or w1? I would have thought that the white wire would be first stage and that that would be the heat pump. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-06, 03:50 PM
The most common wiring for a heat pump is as follows. (I do not think Goodman uses the B terminal)

R = Red - 24v power
Y = Yellow - Cooling
G = Green - Fan
O = Orange - Reversing Valve
W = White - Auxillary Heat
E = Black - Emergency Heat
C = Blue - Common

In a heat pump with this configuration where you have the O terminal, that would be considered stage 1, and the W would be stage 2. On a unit with a O, W1, and W2, O would be the first stage of heat (heat pump running), W1 would be the first bank of heat strips and W2 would be the second bank of heat strips.

Alot of times you will also see a jumper wire from Auxillary heat to the Emergency heat terminal too. While this basic color chart may not be what you have I hope it clears things up. If you do not have a O on your thermostat I would be suspicious that you do not have a thermostat made for a heat pump. You could use W1 for heat pump and W2 for heat strips but I would call that shady work.

Old 11-08-06, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the clarification about w1 vs w2 and the second bank of heat strips. I guess my problem is that my new thermostat doesn't have an E terminal.

The old one has
Y (yellow),G (green), R(red) ,O (orange),w2 (white) ,e (black) ,c (blue).

The new one has y,g,r,o,w1,w2, c, etc.

So in the absence of an E terminal I put the white on w1 and the black on w2. What is the difference between auxilliary heat and emergency heat? I was thinking in my setup that they would be the same.

Old 11-08-06, 04:17 PM
They are the same and that set up you have is fine. Your thermostat will tell it to kick in the electrical heat strips as needed as an "auxillary" to the heat pump if the house is real cold and needs help getting warm air in fast. When you switch it to emergency heat it just bypasses the heat pump and kicks on the electrical heat because you are basically telling the thermostat that something is wrong with your heat pump and you need some "emergency" heat or you are gonna freeze your ass off

You don't need a E for emergency heat, it is common, but your thermostat will act the same way as one with an E as is will with what you have currently.

Old 11-08-06, 06:24 PM
Thanks again for all of your help. Do you happen to know why the fan would cycle twice each time it turns on? The fan comes on once for a second or two, then turns off for a second or two, then turns itself back on like normal. During all of that the compressor is on all the time.