Trane 5"media filter

Old 11-11-06, 07:17 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane 5"media filter

I am looking at a new installation of a heat pump system. I am trying to decide between Trane and American Standard. When I asked about 5" media filters, the American Standard dealer quoted one at $390, and the Trane dealer quoted a 4" filter to go in the return air duct at $45 (he didn't seem to be familiar with the Perfect Fit 5" media filter). Has anyone heard of this 4" filter, and would it do about as good a job?

Thanks,
TopCat

Old 11-11-06, 07:38 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I think what you have here is .The A/S guy is giving you the cost of the new EAC filter that is sold under Trane and A/S name .It is a very good filter. The Trane guy is giving a AIR BEAR.
it said 5" but actual is 4 3/4"
Now you can buy pleated filters from 1" 2" or 4"
So make sure what each one is talking about here as to just what kind of filter it is.

ED

Old 11-12-06, 04:42 PM
K
The air bear filters cost $ 40.00. The perfect fit has a higher merv. Fits in like a space guard and cost $70.00. Both need to be changed twice a year.

Old 11-13-06, 04:07 AM
T
TopCat

The Trane/AmStd "Perfect Fit" 5" media cabinet has two filters, a pleated 1" prefilter and a 5" pleated filter. Size of filters is determined by the size of your system and the amount of air to be moved and cleaned. The prefilter should be changed out 3-4 times/yr and the main 5" filter usually about once a year. Trane OEM filters are not inexpensive-the 1" prefilter about $15-$17 and the large 5" filter about $60. Generics though are available from filter internet companies and work about as well and are close to half the cost of the Trane OEM filters. Filters are easy to change out depending on location of cabinet, no tools are necessary, and take about 1-2 minutes. You might need a flashlight. Cost of the cabinet varies but I suspect a price of about $400-500 for the Perfect Fit with the new CleanEffects most likely twice that amount. There are alternatives to the Trane Perfect Fit like Honeywell, AprilAire, and AirBear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: