Artesian Well Heat Pump System

Old 11-19-06, 01:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Artesian Well Heat Pump System

I have a 1245' flowing Artesian well that overflows top of casing at about 1g/min; water is 57 deg F. Submersible pump for domestic water is set at 300'. Does anyone have any experience in using a situation like this in connection with a closed loop, geothermal heat pump? Seems to me like I'm missing out on some substantial heating and cooling possibilities by just letting this overflow go into a ditch. What are implications for running closed loop for heat pump down into well or having overflow collect in an underground reservoir with closed loop in the the reservoir. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks. Bill

Old 11-20-06, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If you have the water and its just a overflow . Id say use it . But let it run right on through not in or as a closed loop. The only thing I can think of is how hard is the water. If bad you will have to clean the condenser more . If so get one that comes apart to clean.

ED

Old 11-20-06, 11:43 AM
B
Thanks, Ed. I was thinking that using the overflow water in an open loop manner as you suggest would be the simplest thing to do (save on pump operation); however, I was unsure if 1g/min would be sufficient to accomplish the heat exchange. Unless somebody else can chime in, I guess I'll just have to do some snoopin' around to see what flow rates are required in open loop heat pumps. Yes, water is moderately hard here in central PA, about 80mg/l total hardness. Thanks again. Bill

Old 12-04-06, 05:58 AM
M
Your idea is a good one, it's the system that I use, except I just have a standard well (yes it's a very good one, 12 years now and no problems). Go with a open loop system. Your system will be the most efficent of all the geothermal choices. It's the only issue I had was what to do with the exahusted water, I did two things. Luckly I have a pond, so I dug a trench and ran it to the pond, I doubt you'll need to do this since you have an Artesian well and the water should already have an area to drain off. he other thing I did was run a exahust line with an on/off valve to my garden.

Old 12-07-06, 08:03 PM
B
Thanks, Missin. Since you're pumping out of a well to pass water over your heat exchanger, the flow rate is probably pretty good. My problem seems to be that my 1g/min Artesian doesn't approach the minimum flow rate specified in most of the systems I've seen (min. seems to be 3g/min). Guess I'm either going to have to pump or come up with a novel heat exchanger that's more efficient and can function effectively at my flow rate. Maybe something along the lines of a countercurrent heat exchanger would work. Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts. Bill

Old 12-07-06, 08:40 PM
Wink

You might look into a larger condenser . AWith the low water flow

Old 12-09-06, 05:15 AM
B
In saying this, Ed, I assume you're just suggesting a greater surface area over which the heat exchange can take place? Is this an option for systems that are commonly available or would this be some sort of custom installation? If you could suggest any vendors in this regard, I'd be all ears. Thanks again. - Bill

Old 12-09-06, 03:55 PM
Wink

http://www.ittstandard.com/

http://www.ari.org/standardscert/standards/450-99.htm

http://www.parkaire.net/water_%20air_cooled_condensers.htm
I dont deal with water cooled units here any more. So cant say a company to go to. Also all boats have coil condensers for cooling and the heatpumps on them So. look at any Marine supply and check them out. I Know not to long ago had to put a new coil on my boys boat there for a 5 ton AC heat pump. There we used a Cupro-nickel condenser coil for the sea water.

ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 12-09-06 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-10-06, 05:04 PM
B
Thanks again, Ed. I'll post back when I figure it out and get something installed that seems to work. Appreciate the advice. -- Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: