Carrier Heat Pump w/ Propane backup problem

Old 11-22-06, 07:59 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier Heat Pump w/ Propane backup problem

Hello,
I have a 2.5 ton Carrier heat pump unit with propane as a backup heat source. It was installed new in 1996. It has a problem when the outside temperature is approximately what the outside thermostat is set on and the unit cuts on (inside temp is below themostat setting) as the unit gets confused as to whether the heat pump should run or the propane should cut on. The light(s) on the thermostat blink and the unit makes a funny noise (the light blinking or the noise is how I know both sources are attempting to run simultaniously; before the current thermostat was installed, both the green and red aux. heat lights blinked, now just the green light blinks). This problem has been occurring since 1999 and the company who installed it has been over at least 5 times since then attempting to fix the problem with no success. And as it would happen, the problem has yet to be duplicated when the heating and a/c company is on site so that they can see first hand what I am trying to explain. They will replace "something' and tell me the problem has been resolved. If the temparature is very cold, low 30's or 20's (well below the outside thermostat setting of 38 degrees) it works fine as the propane kicks in immediately. They have replaced the outside and inside thermostats several times. I try not to run the heat at night as I won't know when both units will be attempting to run since I am sleeping and I know both attempting to operate at the same time is not good. This however makes for very cold nights and I am tired of having to do it. I live in VA where it gets cold but usually not for very long periods of time which is a blessing. Can you please help with this problem?

Old 11-22-06, 10:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Been going on from 1996 Id think they would have got it fixed by now. the only thing I can think of is . Have them use another brand tstat.
Also try and move where the outdoor tstat or sensor is at.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: