Heat Pump Problem

Old 11-23-06, 06:17 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Heat Pump Problem

I have a York heat pump with a honeywell multi stage thermostat. Th pump is about 8 years old and the thermostat is about 1 year old. For the past two years in the heat mode the compressor shuts down over night. The only way I have found to restore operation is to shut power off to the heat pump and air handler at the circuit breaker, wait five minutes and then restore power. About five minutes later the heat pump kicks on and runs normally until the following night. At this point the thermostat displays 'aux heat on'. I have had two firms out to fix so far without success even though one is a certified york service. Help!

Old 11-23-06, 08:15 AM
P
I'm very much a novice on heat pumps and I think the experts are all cooking turkeys right now but from what I've read on this forum about HPs, that sounds like normal operating procedure. When the outside temp gets below a certain point, the HP can't keep up and the compressor shuts off and "aux heat" comes on to heat the house.

Remember though, I'm a novice.

Old 11-23-06, 08:26 AM
N
Thermostat says aux is on, but the air still blows cold.

Old 11-23-06, 08:49 AM
P
Is your aux heat a gas furnace or is it electric heat strips in the air handler?

I would check circuit breakers, etc. Turn off HP circuit breaker to reset system.

Old 11-23-06, 09:43 AM
N
Electric heat strips.

Old 11-23-06, 09:54 AM
P
You probably need help from those with more expertise than me. If circuit breaker reset didn't work here's one more thing you could check.
In my furnace there is a control board (printed circuit board) inside the door in the unit. There is a small automotive type fuse on that board.

Be sure to turn off electric power before poking around that circuit board. Check that fuse.

Old 11-24-06, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

pump is about 8 years old and the thermostat is about 1 year old.
Id start with the tstat Who put it in???? Is the programmed set right?????

Thermostat says aux is on, but the air still blows cold. Can be tstat or sequencers.

Id say not the board in the blower or that fuse "the blower runs"
Might check on the defrost board in the condenser also

ED

Old 12-04-06, 03:19 PM
R
The problem has nothing to do with the thermostat nor the controls indoors. My heat pump does the same thing and the problem is with the defrost control.

When the defrost cycle kicks in, the defrost control switches the four way valve in the compresor over to air conditioning. The unit then sends cold freon into the house (summer mode) which collects heat from the house and returns warm freon to the outside coils. This defrosts the outside coils.

The problem is that the defrost control does not shift the four way valve back to the heat position when the cycle is over. Turning off the circuit breaker resets the outside unit into its default mode which is to heat the house.

The four way valve is not stuck because then it wouldn't reset with the main power off.

It's the lousy defrost control, but my unit which is also York had all the circuit information on a paper diagram outside, which after 10 to 20 years is totally illegible. So I have no idea which type of defrost control was used. So now I am forced to wait for an experienced service man to come and fix it

Old 12-04-06, 03:24 PM
R
A further thought: set your thermostat to ignore the Aux heat. If your system is working properly you don't need those strips to heat. They waste electricity and money like crazy.

I found this the hard way: the first month of operation when we moved in in December (Connecticut) cost over $300.

Ignoring the Aux control saved $100 per month

Old 12-04-06, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

The AUX or EME is there only for when the heatpump is down. Anytime the heat pump cant keep up with the home the electric elements will come on to help. If you have a 20 year old unit there Id sure get a new one. That will be the way to save on the fuel $$$$$

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: