Geo-thermal?

Old 11-23-06, 07:58 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Geo-thermal?

Happy Thanksgiving!

My wife and I are building a new home - around 3100 ft2. Very soon we are going to have to decide between a "standard" heating and cooling system and geothermal. I don't have all of the bids in for geothermal vs. standard, so I obviously don't have the data to make a true comparison. I do know through conversations with my future neighbors that the premium should be in the ballpark of $8,000.

I'm interested in any comments, concerns, good things, bad things, etc. concerning geothermal. Also I'm wondering if there is a magical formula to use to compare cost savings of the geothermal system. Any good websites to help with the comparison?

Any comments would really be appriciated. I figure this is a good place for some non-biased opinions.

Thanks a million!

Old 11-24-06, 04:55 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Id think that $8,000 will be on the low end for a Standard HVAC system.

Old 11-24-06, 06:52 AM
Geo is the way to go these days but like Airman said if you're starting from scratch "duct work" and all then 8G is a starting point.

What area of the country are you located ??

Old 11-24-06, 07:37 AM
G
I am located right in the middle of Illinois.

For clarification, the $8,000 was the premium that a neighbor paid above and beyond a traditional hvac system. (i.e. if the standard cost was $12,000, the geo would be $20,000.)

Thanks!

Old 11-24-06, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say $15K to $20K Is in the ball park. A closed loop is not to bad Stay away from any water to water. Might look at the Geo Dx set up. Here the condenser part of the unit is in the ground " the freon lines " That way any ground heat goes right into the freon . Not Into the water loop then into the freon. Also you dont have to pay for a water pump there or pay for power to run it.

ED

Old 11-24-06, 12:10 PM
G
There are a lot of unknowns when figuring a payback on the additional investment (electric prices, gas prices, "all electric" incentives, etc). With that said, is there a good formula that is used to give some best guess about the payback? I don't mind spending the $'s as long as there is a reasonable return.

Thanks to all of you for your input!!!!!!

Old 11-24-06, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You might go to http://warmair.net You can compare all fuel cost for where you live there. Also into next year you can check on any tax credit you can get from the IRS. For things you use in this new home

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: