heating just basement

Old 11-24-06, 06:56 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
heating just basement

Does anybody know if its possible to have a two thermostats. I have a woodstove insert on the middle floor of my house.It heats the middle and upstair great but the basement stays cold.What I would like to do is have a second thermostat in my basement to turn on the furnace and switch a damper to some flex ductwork I could run above the drop ceiling and heat just the basement.And have it where the upstairs thermostat would over ride thermostat in basement if needed. Is something like this possible?

Stuart

Old 11-24-06, 07:35 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Possible yes! Advisable no. Turn your fan to on this will help even out some temps.

Old 11-24-06, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Like said try the blower on the furnace 24/7 and see how that works. Yes you can add a tstat down in the basement But you have to put a switch set up in so just one tstat will work at a time and not feed back to the other

Old 11-25-06, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
Stuart,

What you are proposing will not work.
When you say you would install a damper I would have to assume that you would block the flow to the area heated by the fireplace and divert the air to the small duct.
If this were done you would overheat the heat exchanger if gas or elements if electric because of reduced air flow.
Wired baseboard heaters would work in your situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: