hot and cold reversed?

Old 11-25-06, 08:54 AM
X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool hot and cold reversed?

Ok i have a ruud heat pump, not sure if it's multi stage or not.

I recently replaced the old radial honeywell T87F 2873 with a new honeywell RTH7000.

The old thermostat has 6 terminals of which 5 were used, though the wire is only 4 conductor. RED, GREEN, BLUE, and WHITE. On the old thermostat the terminals were labled B,G,Y,W,R,O they were connected as follows. BLUE = B, GREEN = G, RED = R, WHITE = W and was bridged to Y. After playing with the new thermostat which has a 7 or 8 different system setting i connected as follows.

R/RC= RED, O/B = BLUE, G = GREEN, AUX = WHITE bridged to Y (the book said to bridge this to Y1 which didn't work, so i bridged it to Y, which did work)

when system is set to 1 (electric heating / cooling) the system AC works fine, but heat doesn't work

When system is set to 2 (heat pump) the system works except for one odd thing. When you turn on cool it turns on heat, and vica versa. It shouldbe noted that switching system to any of the multi stage settings for heat pumps doesn't work at all, and when when bridging Y1 to AUX instead of Y while setting the system to 2 (heat pump) nothing works either.

Perhaps i have a wire switched or somthing, i never thought wiring a thermostat would be such a pain, please help.

Thanks

~shane

Old 11-25-06, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

The old thermostat has 6 terminals of which 5 were used, though the wire is only 4 conductor. RED, GREEN, BLUE, and WHITE.
No way can I see how this worked for you on a heatpump. You have to have 5 or more wires. On that old tstat. Now R is power G is fan W is for heat and Y is for cool O/B is for the 4 way valve in the outdoor unit. Out of the box here but I think that when the unit calls for heat both the pump and the EME heat comes on.

When system is set to 2 (heat pump) the system works except for one odd thing. When you turn on cool it turns on heat, and vica versa. This is cause that the 4 way valve is not going over to cool . It just has no power and stays in heat mode . That would be the O/B wire

Old 11-25-06, 12:46 PM
X
no the old tstat worked fine, i just wanted a programable. This tstat works, Setting the system to heat causes it to blow cold and setting to cold causes it to blow heat. It's wierd. But trust me the old stat worked just fine the way it was wired.

Old 11-25-06, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Then the O/B is wrong. That is what pulls the 4 way valve in for cool or heat. Take the O/B off and try heat. Some vales fail are or in heat all the time and have to work to get cool. Then you can have a set up that work just the other way. Its in cool all the time and has to work for heat.

Old 11-25-06, 01:17 PM
X
THANK YOU!!

on that stat function 190 is to control the changover valve. I'm stupid, it plainly says. Set to 0 if you connected a O to O/B set to 1 if you connected B to O/B, changing it to 1 did the trick. Thanks for your help. you rawk

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: