Warranty Questions

Old 12-07-06, 07:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Warranty Questions

Hello,

Curious about what is normally covered under warranty. Is it just parts, does it include service/labor? Is service/labor never covered?

I am sure it varies from vendor to vendor. Have a Carrier Infinity system, that had a problem over the week. The unit is under warranty but the vendor charged about $300 for labor and service for essentially failed components/parts that were covered. System is under 2 years old.

I am not really familiar with how warranties for this type of equipment works. I know on cars, the warranty covers both labor and parts.

Did we get screwed, or did we get screwed but this is normal?

Thanks

Old 12-07-06, 03:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Labor rates vary from city to city and will vary among companies in the same area. It would be hard to say if you paid too much.

As far as warranties, the equipment comes with a factory warranty. If a covered part fails, your tech should be able to get the replacement parts at no cost. The manufacturer usually does not pay any labor charges. There are some exceptions, but generally not. Most techs give a free labor warranty on new equipment (usually for the first year). If there is a problem, it is unlikely your tech will get any money for his time.

Keep in mind that most techs don't like to work for free. If a particular brand is giving them too much trouble, they will usually complain to the manufacturer and possibly drop that product line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: