My Heatpump Experience so far in N.E. Ohio cold temperatures

Old 12-16-06, 01:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile My Heatpump Experience so far in N.E. Ohio cold temperatures

This is my first year with a Heatpump in Northeast Ohio where Temperatures from December-February can sometimes get quite cold.
Average Temperatures in December here are in the 30's and January is 24 with records lows of -20.
So how am I doing so far?
I am EXCEPTIONALLY well pleased with the Heatpump. I have a 2600sq.ft. home with a 2.5 ton 13 seer Concord Unit, 5 KW heatstrip. The coldest so far was 17 degrees with close to 5 degree or lower chill factor. During these two days it was this cold the Heatpump held my home at 69 degrees and was doing ALL it COULD do. HOWEVER, it was a WARM 69 degrees.
I was pleased.
If I wanted to get a little better I suppose I could *up my heatstrip to 7.5 KW. HOWEVER my box is only a 100 amp service so I have to be careful and just might leave it.
Am I happy with it. YEP, even MORE than YEP.
My bill for October was $20.00
My bill for November was $55.00
I am anticipating perhaps a $100.00 bill for December ALTHOUGH this week has been in the 40's and MIGHT remain for the year.

ONE other note... I am NOT sure if a heatpump is a good idea for something like an OLD farmhouse with NO insulation in NE OHIO. Homes like THAT need ALOT of HOT heat coming into them from oil or wood. But a well insulated home in NE Ohio will do JUST fine with a Heatpump.

Old 12-16-06, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

When you look at a heatpump its the HSPF of the unit to look at Not the SEER.
2600sq ft home and just a 5 kw. I dont see how it can hold the home when it goes into defrost. Also if the pump goes out the 5 Kw cant heat the home. All of the homes that we put heatpumps in have to have a 200 amp panel to carry it.
Yes you want the home to be tight. but when you look at what to use for heat its the cost not how hot it can get. You can go to http://warmair.net and compare the fuel cost for where you are. For oil elec. and gas

Old 12-17-06, 05:48 AM
T
JIMMY

A great endorsement for heat pumps even for your area/climate.

2.5 ton unit(30 KBTU) to heat/cool a 2600 sq ft home with a 5 KW heat strip element? 1040 sqft/ton?

This stretches credulity.

IMO

Old 12-18-06, 02:30 PM
J
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
When you look at a heatpump its the HSPF of the unit to look at Not the SEER.
2600sq ft home and just a 5 kw. I dont see how it can hold the home when it goes into defrost. Also if the pump goes out the 5 Kw cant heat the home. All of the homes that we put heatpumps in have to have a 200 amp panel to carry it.
Yes you want the home to be tight. but when you look at what to use for heat its the cost not how hot it can get. You can go to http://warmair.net and compare the fuel cost for where you are. For oil elec. and gas

ED,

When the Unit goes into defrost and the 5KW is on the air coming out of the vents is definately cooler but not fridgid. So far it has not gone into defrost that much...just occassionally USUALLY in the morning I see some steam.
But when it switches back to the heatpump and 5Kw under 30 degrees the air coming out of the vents is really QUITE warm. When it is 20 degress outside and the heatpump and 5 kw. is on the air is probably warmer than my wood add on.
It REALLY surprizes me. At THIS point I am really happy with it.

Plus it only defrosts for maybe 5-10 minutes? I had a pro do the Installation. 21years experience so everything must be adjusted just right.

Old 12-18-06, 02:39 PM
J
Originally Posted by TigerDunes View Post
JIMMY

A great endorsement for heat pumps even for your area/climate.

2.5 ton unit(30 KBTU) to heat/cool a 2600 sq ft home with a 5 KW heat strip element? 1040 sqft/ton?

This stretches credulity.

IMO

Tiger,

I know, it REALLY does surprize the heck out of me. But I also had someone come in and do a home evaluation, ran it through a computer and it showed a 2.5 ton unit. Why? I asked?
He said because I do not have a full basement and the Computer was compensating for the basement. Interesting.

It really DOES work good though. The ONLY thing I can see different in the future might be to "up" the 5 KW to a 7.5 KW.
The guy who installed it told me that he didn't think the 5 kw. would quite do it for my big home but said to leave in the 5 KW and run it "to the hilt", which is what I am doing and it really does work good.
Of course we are not -10 yet, but those types of days are usually few in number and usually in January, plus I have a propane fireplace to help in those cases.

But in all honesty I LOVE the heatpump. And so far the operating cost is really really good!
I think I will ALWAYS have one. It sure beats that expensive oil!

Old 12-19-06, 08:10 AM
Man that's awesome....I have a approx. 2500sqft in North MS, not sealed like a new one but I have a 5 ton HP and bills run $145 to $220...

Old 12-30-06, 10:14 AM
R
rcb
Jimmy

I too am living in NE Ohio and we just moved into our first home. It has electric baseboard heat and we are looking into heat pumps. I would be very interested to hear who your installer/estimator was. If you could let me know I would appredciate it.

Thank You

Old 12-30-06, 01:26 PM
S
Those are exceptional statistics! congratulations...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: