New Heat Pump, what to buy?

Old 12-19-06, 01:11 PM
V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New Heat Pump, what to buy?

Good day. We live in the northern central area of North Carolina and are preparing to replace our 15 year old Comfort-Maker Heat pump system. The home is two-story, brick exterior, 2,800 sq. ft. with 30 double pane windows and good insulation. The reason for the upgrade is we've increasingly spent on the existing two-unit system over the last two years ($200 here; $400 there) and wanted to replace it while we had time to compare and review rather than a 'gotta have it now' situation. My question is... what do you recommend we buy? We've gotten one quote for a TRANE system; two options 13 SEER/5 year warranty in the $10,000 range the other a 15 SEER/10 year warranty in the $12,500 range. (these prices are for two units) Plus add-ons like Clean Effects air cleaners ($1500 per unit) and humidifiers ($550 per unit). These prices do not include any new duct work... only hardware and installation. Is there a lot of difference in Trane vs. others? (We've liked the Comfort-Maker) are air cleaners REALLY worth $1500 a piece? We are getting another quote (on a Trane) but should we price out other systems also? Sorry for the long post but $15-$20,000 is a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY and we want to make sure it's a wise investment. Thanks for any and all input. Regards!

Old 12-19-06, 01:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A heatpump is a heatpump! Go with the company that can install and warenty your system the best! INSTALATION IS EVERYTHING! Buy a good media filter you will be alot happer.

Old 12-19-06, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Id say go with the Trane ( I do sell them). Cause we have less trouble with them then others brands.
Now go for the XL15i for sure with a V/S blower coil unit. This will give you a SEER of 15.10 and a HSPF 8.05 or better. This will let you get back from the IRS $300 in tax credit. You also will get a 10 year warranty. The clean effects works good . But for cost Id go with a 5" airbear media filter. For a try put just one humidifier in on the down unit. Go for a good Aprilaire -700.
For sure get 3 bids on the same work.

ED my .02 cents

Old 12-21-06, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I am just curious. I am also looking into what is costs to get my unit replaced. As stated in another thread, my heating unit is probably close to 30 or more years old. What is the difference between a split system and a heat pump packaged system? How much does a XL16i or XL19i cost? How much does the XR13h (TCH) air conditioner and XL1400 (WCY) cost? What is the difference between R22 and R410a refrigerant? I will ask more questions later

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: