Best HP programmable thermostat

Old 12-27-06, 04:58 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best HP programmable thermostat

I am wanting to replace my old thermostats with programmable ones. I have two HPs, one upstairs, one down. I live in Indiana, which can get way too cold in the winter. One of the things that drives me nuts about my upstairs HP is that when it is below freezing outside it seems it will run for hours and just keep everything within +/- 1 degree or so, so the backup heat doesn't come on very much, and it drafts up my upstairs all night while I am *trying* to sleep.

So, I see that some thermostats have an outdoor sensor with a programmable balance point. This makes great sense to me - once the outside gets cold enough, it just turns on the EH because it knows it is necessary.

I have heard of another strategy where thermostats will sense that the HP has run for some set amount of time, and then kick in the EH, not mecessarily waiting for the -1 degree drop.

Does anybody have an opinion about these? Also, my downstairs HP has an Aprilaire humidifier, it seems like you could take advantage of outside temp to control the humidifier as well.

Thanks for any recommendations
ken

Old 12-27-06, 08:47 AM
Set back on heat pump is not a good ideal. I'd just set it and forget it.

As for t-stat, I'd go with the Honeywell VisionPro.

Upstairs, use the TH8320
Downstairs use the IAQ if you have a variable speed air handler on it, otherwise, if you don't variable speed, then go with the same as upstairs. Add on an outdoor sensor on it.

Old 12-27-06, 02:22 PM
K
Hmm,variable speed air handler. Is that something I can install myself, and is it worth it?

I must admit I am skeptical of setback as well. It seems like it could tkae three hours of running the HP to get your temp back!

Thanks for any other advice

Old 12-27-06, 02:54 PM
Variable speed handler should be installed by a pro.. How old is your current system now?

Old 12-27-06, 05:32 PM
K
Right at 10 years. Goodman on both upstairs and downstairs.

Old 12-28-06, 11:38 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Right at 10 years. Goodman on both upstairs and downstairs.
"That said it right there". Id go for new units with a higher SEER and HSPF. It will pay . With Jay go for a good V/S blower unit a SEER of 15 or more and get a 10 year warranty. A $300 tax credit from the IRS .Just a tstat that you can set the anticipator in . Set the tstat and let it alone on a heat pump.

Get 3 bids

Old 12-28-06, 04:18 PM
I also agree with the recommendation to use the Vision Pro from Honeywell. The TH8321 is a great thermostat. Even if you replace components in the future, you can keep the stat. Get the outdoor sensor and set it up any way you want it to work.

Ken

Old 12-28-06, 06:26 PM
K
"Id go for new units with a higher SEER and HSPF"

Yow, it's like I'm going to the store to get the wife a new pair of shoes, and she tells me that she really needs a new dress (+ plus new shoes, purse, etc

I was hoping for 15 years out of these puppies, but I guess forewarned is forearmed in this case. I think I will get the quotes <shudder>

In the meantime, I can install my own thermostat, at least I won't get charged for installing new ones by the contractor

Thanks for all the advice
ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: