Heat Defrost Problems

Old 01-02-07, 10:34 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat Defrost Problems

Hi,

We moved into a home with a Rheem Classic 10 seer HP. And it is frosting up when the temp goes down to about 35. I donít believe it ever goes in to defrost. I have not heard or observed the fan stop when it gets to the point where it runs continuously in the lower temps.

Does any one know if these units have timers or just sensors that control the defrost cycle? I thought maybe if it was a timer, I could adjust it. But never hearing the fan stop over along period of time, adjusting the timer may be fruitless. I am hoping the problem is with the defrost controller and not something more serious, such as a stuck valve IĎve been reading about. By the way, if there was a stuck valve, would the fan stop in that case, as it attempted to defrost?

I have zero experience with HPs. I assume it is ok to take the hood off the unit just to locate a part number for a bad timer - should the circuit breaker be off?. At any rate, any knowledge or suggestions on how to troubleshoot the problem would be great.

Thanks

Old 01-02-07, 12:33 PM
M
mjb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat Defrost Problems

Has the unit actually frozen over & affected heating operation. If not than it must be defrosting at some point. If so, leave well enough alone.

Last edited by mjb; 01-02-07 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-03-07, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Some will get to a big ice ball like first then go into defrost. Some work on time some on temp. Is the big copper line warm to hot the small line warm?? You can run the AC for a short time. That will tell you that defrost will work or the 4 way valve works.

Yes if you go into the unit .Turn the power off to it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: