3rd Floor Heat Pump question

Old 01-04-07, 12:00 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3rd Floor Heat Pump question

For starters I live in richmond, va and my house currently has 2 floors (2000 sq ft each)and each floor has a separate AC/Heat (gas on the lower level, heat pump on 2nd level), plus an unfinished attic space of 550 sq ft.

The third floor is currently framed into one large open space with 4 foot kneewalls on each side and a sloped ceiling from the midpoint of the roof to each knee wall. On the other side of the kneewalls is open attic space where the duct work for the 2nd floor heat pump is located. The third floor room will be sparsely used but it is being added as a spillover bedroom/office with multiple ceiling fans. Most of the year the vents in the attic will probably be closed.

My question is should I add a third HVAC unit or just add duct work to the existing 2nd floor ducts and use what I already have in place? If I was going to add a third floor unit (for which the wiring is already in place) what size unit would be recommended?

Any thoughts on how to finish the HVAC? Cost of complettion and appraisal value are major factors in this effort as the project is being done as a neighborhood "normalization" in preparation for moving next year.

thank you for any advice or comments!

Old 01-04-07, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

as the project is being done as a neighborhood "normalization" in preparation for moving next year.

just add duct work to the existing 2nd floor ducts and use what I already have in place?

Id say you have already got the way you should go.

Good luck with it

Old 01-05-07, 05:38 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One follow up question

Thanks for the reply Ed.

If my transfer out of state gets changed and we end up staying in the house, what type of effect will the additional duct changes have on the heating and cooling ability for the 2nd floor. 80% of the time all registers will be closed on the 3rd floor since my family doesn't really need to use the space - at this time....(famous last words)

Thanks again for your insight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: