Central Heating only Working on One Half of House

Old 01-05-07, 10:45 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Central Heating only Working on One Half of House

My Central Heat vents are only reaching the 80's temp. on one side of House, which happens to have the ducts comming out of one side of unit. The other side of the unit with ducts going to the other side of the house reaches 96 -100's temp. The warmest vent happens to be on the far end of the working side. Didn't see any leaks. A technichian took the temps. He suggested that it could be the SPIDER layout. This doesn't seem to be a problem for the other side. I gave him $$ for him to give me the BIG NEWS that it was "uneven distribution?" Of course-for him to truly check the system would be $$$. Go figure-dishonest representation over the phone... Some things never change. What should I do? And can I do it myself? I'm pretty handy.

Old 01-05-07, 06:41 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Not there dont know the duct lay out.
So if you have a Y that goes to both sides then you need a damper in it so you can set it for more air to one side or the other. If you have like a T in the duct then you have to put a damper in each take off duct. That way open or close one of then a little more than the other.

Old 01-05-07, 09:06 PM
You also forgot to tell us what makes the heat. Gas, oil, electric, heatpump? Fill in the blanks and let us know if there are dampers in the spiders legs.

Ken

Old 01-06-07, 06:57 AM
C
Red face Heating only one side of home

The unit is electric. and there are several ducts (4-5). "Spider layout"- One of the (4-5) ducts coming out of the unit does split into a Y. The ducts do not have dampers, but we have closed the vents going to 2 bedrooms and a hall bathroom. Only 3 vents open, which are in the master bedroom. We even close the doors to those not in use. Only thing left on the "non-working" side is a 15ft hallway. The longest duct work in the attic is about 10ft. Oh, I'm religious about changing the filter. Is this enough info? The lowest temp.(96) on the "working" side is the closest to the unit, while the warmest is the farthest away. ??

Old 01-11-07, 02:03 PM
C
Red face Central Electric Heating one side of house

Let me try to explain more clearly.

1. From the unit there are ducts coming from 2 sides (call it-right/left)
2. The Right side has several ducts which provide heat in the 96-100's range.
3. The Left side provides heat only in the low 80's.
4. On the left side there are 4 ducts-one being larger,which splits into Y
5. None have dampers.

Conclusion: the LEFT side ducts/unit don't heat the house, while the RIGHT ducts/unit do.

Old 01-11-07, 02:30 PM
Wink

You keep comeing back in a new post for the same thing. We have gone over this with you before. Have you tried anything that you have been told???
If you dont put a split damper in that T going to left and right. You cant control what hot air goes to which duct left or right. Then that 5 " pipe you have is just to small to handle the CFM you have on the unit.
If you post again on the same thing stay in this same post

Old 01-11-07, 04:19 PM
C
The ducts come directly out of an insulated box attached to the electrical unit. So do I cut open the insulated box and look inside??? There is only one panel that just opens to the electrical components of the unit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
***Moderator's note: Please note, threads have been merged***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 01-11-07 at 05:00 PM. Reason: see note in post
Old 01-12-07, 10:56 AM
Wink

Not there cant see a duct lay out. So out of the box here so.

"Conclusion: the LEFT side ducts/unit don't heat the house, while the RIGHT ducts/unit do."

The left duct take off could be bigger or go in and put a spliter damper to get more air to the left duct.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: