Leveling Programmable Thermostat?

Old 01-05-07, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Leveling Programmable Thermostat?

I've been curious as to whether its more energy efficient to use a programmable thermostat to keep my house (heat pump) cool during day and evening but warm during morning and early evening. My concern is if I have a difference of say 8 degrees for these times, won't the heat pump kick in the electric heat portion? Is there such a thermostat that will gradually raise the temp as to not bring in auxiliary? If so, am I saving anything or will the wear&tear on my unit be more than the savings in electricity? Thanks folks!
-Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 08:57 PM
I prefer the Honeywell thermostats. They make a Vision Pro (8000 series) model with a nice screen and setback capability. They also have adaptive intelligent recovery which does what you are looking for. On most models you can also set it to favor comfort or economy when the room temp falls below the setpoint. I think these stats are the best thing out there. You can probably save onsetback if the weather is mild but if it gets severe, you might consider setting back less or not at all.

Ken

Old 01-05-07, 09:20 PM
RTH8500D work also, or advantages w/ 8321?

I'm searching for the 8321, but having somewhat harder time finding it vs. the one listed in title. Is there a significant difference between the two - what should I be looking for? Thank you for your quick response!!
-Mike

Old 01-06-07, 06:11 AM
I agree with Ken.

What do you have for back up heat?

If you have electric back up heat, lot of us do not advise set back since heat pump takes a long time to recover, and will turn on the electric heat to heat up the home, so if you run this, will use much more power than the heat pump itself.

Now if you have gas, then it's ok in away.. depends on what your rate are.

The RTH8500D is pretty close to TH8320

The RTH8500D is pretty stripped down. it don't have the following options that the TH8320 would have.

-Back up heat source
-Cycle per hour for 2nd stage, and cooling
-Countious back light (common must be used)
-Deadband for heat/cool
-Outdoor sensor (BIG plus for heat pump, used to shut down heat pump if not worth the cost running it below X degree outside.)
-UV and Humidifer reminder
-Can do 4 time schedule or 2
-Can do program or manual
-heat/cool min/max setting
-can program fan to run in diffrent mode
-Has circ air mode
-Auto change over from heat to cool

You mention about the TH8321, that has a build in humidistat, I am not sold on that one cuz it does NOT control the blower speed on a variable speed blower, it just overcools the hosue up to 3 degrees.

Old 01-06-07, 06:54 AM
There are multiple variations for the 8000 series. The adaptive intelligent recovery does its best to not use the second stage of heat. It raises temp gradually so as not to need the second stage. it learns how long it takes to bring the building back to setpoint and adjusts its start time to reach the setpoint by the desired time.

Check this link to help locate the right model.
http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consumer/Cultures/en-US/Products/Thermostats/Programmable/Do-It-Yourself/Default.htm

Ken

Old 01-06-07, 08:34 AM
Minimal second stage - but what about wear & tear?

Excellent info - thank you very much for the research. I will check out the URL posted later today I have to work again today . As far as using a unit with the minimal to no second stage (I believe this is the adaptive piece mentioned) - will this cause quite a bit more wear & tear on my HP? Also - when does it make sense to use the adaptive vs. just set-it-and-forget-it? I'm assuming at lower temps. I live just South of Cincinnati in Northern KY so it does get cold from time to time, just wondering on a range. Thanks again everyone!

-Mike

Old 01-06-07, 12:21 PM
http://www.hotfreshcool.com/visionpro_demo.html

Here is a demo of the t-stat.

Ken is right about the A.I.R control. but if the set back temps are extream. it will run 2nd stage for awhile the scales back on 1st stage.

Old 01-06-07, 11:58 PM
Thumbs up Sold!

Wow - That's impressive. I've got to have one of these... Now, I've not seen anything that states you can't ask, but I could have missed it, if so please let me know and ignore the question. Any fairly reputable / fairly reasonably priced places out there to obtain said thermostat? Again, if it's against forum rules I withdraw the question. Thanks!
-Mike

Old 01-07-07, 05:05 AM
If you look around on line, you can find them. I got one for my supervisor at work on E-Bay pretty cheap. Now, FIY there is NO warranity on this when you get the stat on line. Honeywell will only warranity these if they are installed by the Pro. (that's why they are called VisionPro)

Also, you better know what you are doing, and heat pump can make it some what complex to install since there are lot of wires..

Please post what you have now for t-stat?

What is your back up heat source?

Are you able to run another wire for outdoor sensor?

Old 01-07-07, 02:05 PM
Red face Existing Thermostat

Apparently I have a fairly archaic thermostat. It is (I believe) an Inter City Products HQ1147909HW (second char might be 'O', not sure).

Backup heat is electric furnace

Current thermo has fan settings (Auto/On), mode settings (Emergency Heat, Heat, Off, Cool), a 'slider' type temperature setting along the top and two LED indicators - one is Auxiliary Heat, the other Emergency Heat. I've always assumed that Aux was when the HP just couldn't fully do the job and the electric furnace kicked in, where as flipping to emergency heat used it full time but keeps the light lit no matter whether currently blowing or not.

I've not popped the cover in the basement yet so I'm not sure where these are coming from but I have the following under the thermostat now:

W - white wire
B - blue wire
G - green wire
R - red wire
X - nothing
Y - yellow wire
O - orange wire

there are also a black and brown which come up from the basement but are just snipped here, not connected anywhere.

I feel fairly confident I could run an outdoor wire as the basement is unfinished and could get to outside wall fairly easily to drill. Probably need what the same wires are downstairs - I'll get that later tonight. Thanks again!

-Mike

Old 01-07-07, 02:50 PM
Wink

As the heat pump is about all that we sell anymore around here . We have found that there seems to be no savings In any of the new tstat out for a set back in the temp of a heatpump. Yes that new one that works back up slow and not turn the electric heat on at all as it gets the temp back up to where you want it. Works fair but for most people it just takes to long to warm up the home.
Forget any outdoor sensor. An the humidity control will work much better if it is on the cold air return in the home. Not on the tstat. That way it knows what the RH air in the home is and not guess at what the tstat said it is right where it is.
You'd save the most $$$ if you get the right units for the home in higher SEER and HSPF

ED my .02 cents

Old 01-07-07, 04:34 PM
Ed,

FYI, the outdoor sensor is NOT for humdity.. It's for system lock out if it can't keep up when it gets below X degrees outside.

Mike,

I think it will work just fine.

Your current to Honeywell VP
W - white wire - E jumper to Aux
B - blue wire (We need to find out where this goes to, I am guessing C for now)
G - green wire - G
R - red wire - R
Y - yellow wire - Y
O - orange wire - O

For the outdoor sensor, your run another 18/2 wire by itself.