HP costs

Old 01-13-07, 04:50 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question HP costs

I know everybody is saying to set the thermostat and leave. Is this true with a 20 year old heat pump and a badly insulated house. To maintain the heat my heat pump is almost running constantly (outside high 40, low 25). Once it reaches the set temp. it only stays of for about 8-10 minutes and then turns back on. Is the heat pump that much different than my aux. strips in terms of power consumption.

In addition, due to being in a condo, and the noise factor, I am unable to run my heat pump in the middle of the night. I am setting back the temp. to 54 at night. In the morning I let the heat strips heat the house to about 64 degrees. Is this an inefficient way to do it?

Old 01-13-07, 05:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

With old or new . Yes its best to set the tstat and let it alone. A new pump will have a much higher HSPF and SEER than the old pump.
And yes it cost more to run the electric elements than the heatpump.When its warmer than 30 F outside.Some new tstat for the pumps with a set back when they turn back on come up to temp slow .So as not to turn the elements on

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: