Trane Xl 14

Old 01-21-07, 05:08 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane Xl 14

Hello, I have two XL14's, one works perfectly, the other air handeler, however continues to blow when the compressor is in defrost mode. Shoudnt the airhandeler turn itself off when in defrost? This just blows cold air in the house. Could this be a dip switch setting? THX

Old 01-21-07, 07:57 PM
M
Usually when your heatpump goes into defrost mode the auxiliary heat will come on. there may be a problem with the auxiliary heat. try to see if your emergancy heat works if not that is what is wrong.

Old 01-21-07, 08:26 PM
I
I don't believe there is auxiliary heat on this unit and no emergency switch either, cannot get it over 70 degrees and outside temp is 35. Frustrating

Old 01-21-07, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

On your tstat there you should see a EME are a AUX. go to that and you should have eme heat. Any blower coil unit has to have some heat in it. For when the heatpump goes into defrost. Yes the blower fan will run in defrost

Old 01-21-07, 08:47 PM
I
My Tstat is a Braeburn 5000

On the left hand side the setting is

cool-off-heat

On the right hand side the setting is

Auto-Fan-on

In the middle are the prog, light, and temp settings up and down.

There is no eme or aux that I can see.

Old 01-21-07, 08:59 PM
Wink

You say the other one is ok What does it do in defrost dont it blow warm air. You have to have a back up heat in there. Id sure call who put it in and check

Old 01-21-07, 09:06 PM
I
Now I am thinking the installer screwed something up, I'll be checking. The unit that does run fine, when in defrost mode, doesn't blow any air at all, handeler is off, tomorrow I'll check the dip switches on the first and compare them to the unit that is giving me problems. Thx

Old 01-21-07, 09:44 PM
Wink

The unit that does run fine, when in defrost mode, doesn't blow any air at all, handeler is off,

You mean that just cold air is in the duct and no blower with back up heat to heat the cold air??????? Not right
Its not in the dip switches.

Old 01-22-07, 05:48 AM
I've never heard of Braeburn line t-stat. I'd get a Honeywell Pro line that has the Aux/Emerg switch

What's the model # on your air handler(s)?

I agree with the guys, you should have an electric heater (Aux/EMR) on your air handler and t-stat.

Air handler should never shut off in defrost.

Old 01-27-07, 03:33 PM
Lightbulb

Could it be that you have a heat pump with no aux heat installed? I have come across a few in my area. It's usually in homes that have another method of heat, but the company wanted to upsell them to a heat pump when they installed central a/c.
The company didn't have a clear understanding of how a heat pump works and installed them with single stage heat pump thermostats. They may have made it to shut off the indoor blower during defrost to cover up their mistake.

Old 01-28-07, 08:00 PM
I believe the blower has to run when the unit is defrosting because it is operating in cooling mode to generate enough heat to defrost the outdoor coil. Thats why the electric backup comes on. To keep you from finding out that the unit is cooling the indoor air. It is all just a lot of smoke and mirrors to make heat pumps SEEM to work well in cold climates like Pennsylvania.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: