Heat pump got flooded!!

Old 01-25-07, 08:56 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat pump got flooded!!

Last week a big rain storm flooded my crawlspace which happens to contain the heat pump inner unit. We did some inspecting and see that the COILS seem to be heating, but the blower is not working, and we looked inside and found rusted wires up to where the water line was....this included the main capacitor on the unti--it was rusty-(the capacitor is water tight, right?)

We removed the capacitor which is very rusty.......would this be what needs to be replaced, or is it a bigger problem than that?

What does the capacitor do exactly? Im not an electrical genius......still havent figured out whether to try this myself or call a pro---tryin not to pay for a contractor if possible.

Dan

Old 01-26-07, 06:02 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You need to replace the Unit! With the water and dirt that got into the unit you will have problems with it. Mold, electrical,insulation falling off etc. You also need to fix why the water got into the crawl. Plus you need to do clean up in the crawl. Fix vapor barrier. remove and replace any wet insulation.

Old 01-26-07, 09:04 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, as this place may not even be here within a few years, i dont think replacement is practical.......plus it is a high crawl in an A frame and insulation isnt an issue. Plus, the flood was there for about 2 days and has been dry for a week.

Having been down there Im optimistic that mold wont be much of a problem-but who knows......kinda lookin for a quick fix here if possible.

dan

Old 01-26-07, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Like said it will cost you more in parts than a new blower coil unit will. Not only the capacitor but the blower motor. the control board. All the sequencers ,the transformer.The elements should be ok

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: