heat pump set at 67 house at 64

Old 01-26-07, 05:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
heat pump set at 67 house at 64

I recently replaced my thermostat witha honeywell prog from Lowes. I checked the wiring and it is correct.
I also had the entire system replaced with a 3 ton gibson heat pump with electric aux.
My original system was a carrier and over 15 years old and only 2.5 tons.

My problem is that the therm is set at 67 and the heat runs and aux kicks in but I did not see it go above 64. I only watched it for about one hour before i had to go to work. The air coming out of the vents was warm but not hot.

The temp outside dropped from 37 to 8. the wind chill is -5. We had a quick freeze overnight.

I think I am just being neurotic b/c of the problems with the old unit but I rather have someone tell me that this is normal when it gets that cold out.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by DIY1000; 01-26-07 at 05:34 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 01-26-07, 06:37 AM
T
DIY

Heat pumps are not as efficient or effective at very low outside temps. Any idea of the size of your heat strip?

Was your HP maintaining your inside thermostat setting when outside temp was higher?

Without checking the system, I would say that your HP is working normally and the only way of maintaining your inside temp of 68 would be a larger size heat strip. If this current cold wave is rare, then I would just keep an eye on system and put on a heavy sweater.

IMO

Old 01-26-07, 06:59 AM
D
I don't know the size of the heat strip but when i saw the install it, it was approx 15 inchs X 15 in X 2.5in deep. The old Unit was only a 2.5 ton and the aux heat strip was smaller and worked great. This one is a 3 ton and bigger. Also the 2.5 ton capacity was just big enough for my house.
The temp outside is somewhat unusual but the norm low for this time of year can be 15-20 overnight. also the unit was maintaining when the temp was higher. but we were unseasonably warm until the past two days.

I spoke with the HVAC contractor and the since the unit is new it is covered under a one year warranty so theyare coming out free of charge to "tweak" the system.

If anyone else has ideas let me know so that I can compare it with what the HVAC guy will tell me. Thanks

Last edited by DIY1000; 01-26-07 at 07:00 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-26-07, 07:16 AM
T
DIY

When was your new HP system installed? It can be problematic to charge a new system in the fall/winter as opposed to spring/summer.

I definitely recommend charge be checked and possibly tweaked in late spring.

And I would find out the size of your heat strip. Any idea of old unit's size?

Good Luck!

Old 01-26-07, 07:52 AM
D
It was installed 2 1/2 wks ago. I don't know the size of the heat strip. I am at work so I am On the phone with my wife and the HVAC trying to figure out what the problem is.

Actually I called home and the house is now at 63 and the temp setting is at 69 and the Aux heat is lit up and the condedsor is running. The air form the vent is cool to warm but not really warm. To me it seems that the Aux is not heating up at all in the system. When my old unit died we were running on the aux het and bypassing the condensor b/c the condensor was dead. the heat coming from the vent was real warm. B/c this unit is bigger than the last and I am not getting that same warm air it leads me to believe that the aux is not heating up in the unit.

Thanks so far .

I will definintly let you know what the problem is when the HVAC guy gets there sometime this afternoon. thanks again.

Old 01-26-07, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I dont know the home or heat loss But. Just the heat pump alone should hold the home down to like say 25 outside. The elements kick in like if you push the tstat up 2o or3o or the pump cant heat the home.
Like you said if you put the tstat on EME . The elements should come on and heat the home. So Id say they didnt put in enough KW for heat. The tstat is not wired right. Or some of the seqencers dont kick on all the elements. Or a bad tstat

Old 01-26-07, 08:39 AM
D
I replaced the thermostat 5 weeks ago before I replaced the unit. The thermostat was turning on the aux heat of the old unit. I dbl checked and I have the wire bridge from aux to emergency so that the heating element would kick in when placed in em heat mode. It worked with the old unit so I would have to believe it would work the new one. My house is approx 1800+ sq feet. 2 story. Do you know the minimum Kw needed for the electric element.

Thanks

Old 01-26-07, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Do you know the minimum Kw needed for the electric element.

That is all in what the heat loss of the home is.
A kw heat output is 3415 Btu.

Old 01-26-07, 02:05 PM
D
Well the HVAC guy came out and it turns out they did not connect a yellow wire or something.. per my wife. When they were done it turned on and went up to the programmed temp immediatly.

Thanks for all your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: