pkg or split

Old 02-05-07, 04:54 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pkg or split

What are the advantages of a split system over a pkg system. I currently have a split in my 1799--2000 sq ft home, but would like to put in a pkg due to me being able to do all the work, where as a split I will have to have all the pipe sweated and brazed as well as the system drained and re-filled by a tech w/EPA card. They are priced and energy rated almost identically, so I am wondering which I should get.

Old 02-05-07, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If you put the pkg.unit in yourself .Then who will work on it later or do the warranty for you. Also with it the heat and the cold air duct has to go to the end of the home / out in the center of it. With a split set up the coil and blower can be set in the middle of the home. Less duct and better for the air duct system in the home.

Old 02-06-07, 05:19 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
umm, I will work on it as long as it isn't freon related. But I have heard the same about the center of the house thing from a few guys I know, one who's brother is an hvac engineer. Thanks for the response.

Old 02-07-07, 05:45 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I have a package unit and will never own another home with a split system.

Best thing about it? I never hear it running.

There is more ductwork, so there is some loss of efficiency, just be sure to factor that in to your sizing.

Generally speaking, the person you call to work on it doesn't care who installed it. I've never been asked "who installed this" when I've needed a repair on anything, unless the install was botched from the beginning.

The "professionals" that installed my system didn't do a pre-run inspection, didn't level the pad, didn't center the unit on the pad, didn't seal around the ductwork going through the side of the foundation wall, didn't use the correct 7 conductor thermostat wire, didn't wire it correctly internally and didn't even bother to leave me the owners manual.

So much for "professional" installations being better than the DIY's.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: