Trane Heat Pump Keeps on Running!

Old 02-06-07, 01:02 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trane Heat Pump Keeps on Running!

Good day all,
I have an older Trane Heat Pump that is running nonstop; I have not noticed this characteristic before and assume/hope that it is related to the recent single digit temperatures here in the Northern Virginia region. The aux. heat (strips/coils) will kick on if I adjust the thermostat accordingly (to a higher setting) and the interior unit will shut off if I adjust the thermostat to a lower setting. My confusion lays with the outside Heat Pump, it stays on contiuously; obviously I have not camped out next to it for hours on end; but every time I check it; morning, day, night, it is running! I have checked the large refridgerant line and it is hot and dry as it should be in the winter, everything appears to be fine both by sight and sound. The filter is approaching 2 1/2 to 3 months of use and I have new filters on order (as I have found out since buying this house, 25x25x1 filters are apparently the holy grail of air filters!) I know that a dirty filter can cause problems but I don't think that the exterior Heat Pump running nonstop is one of those caused problems? Any and all tips or general words of wisdom would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-07, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

They will all run when its that cold out. let it go. when it does get down to say about 10F you could go over to EME for that time fuel cost will be about the same.

Old 02-06-07, 02:23 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for the information!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: