Heat Pump Nightmare

Old 02-11-07, 07:43 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump Nightmare

We purchased a Econare geothermal heat pump for our new home. It is 2 1/2 years old. It's been nothing but problems. It broke down six times the first winter, sometimes for 24 hours. We live in North Dakota. It is very cold! We can have -15 with wind chill very easily. Finally, the electrical board was replaced. The heat now works fine, but the unit seems to stop and then start and hesitates during the heating cycle. It seems to run most of the time. During the two summers it has run, there has been a very bad wet wood, moldy smell. We finally figured out it was from the a/c. After much research, we found out the heat pump was never kicking into the lower speed to take out the humidity. At times, in the basement it was like walking through a sheet of humidity. The repairman, who is supposed to be one of the best in town, doesn't know much about how to fix it. We talked to Econare, they had him install two different things, nothing much has helped. The first was to try to get the system to kick into a lower speed. Hasn't helped the smell. Our family was sick most of the summer due to the mold going through our home. The company at first tried to say there was absolutely nothing wrong with our system, no way could the smell be from there. Finally, someone admitted this could be a problem with the heat pump system, but very rare. Now they are saying run chemicals all the time through the coil system all summer to keep the mold from growing. We have allergies, cannot have chlorine chemicals circulating throughout the house or we will be even sicker. We installed a Honeywell UV system. Sort of works.
We are asking for the system to be replaced because it is obviously a lemon, or take it out. It is definately oversized for the house, and we found out the ductwork might be a bit small. The furnace itself leaks air all over the place when it runs. That has been duct taped, but hasn't completely taken care of it. We will not run the a/c again until it is fixed. This has been a nightmare. What do you recommend?

Last edited by Medora; 02-11-07 at 08:40 AM. Reason: define heat pump
Old 02-11-07, 08:51 AM
What is the full model # on the unit? I'll look it up and see what I can do for you over the net.

Has the service company looked at the coil by the air filter to see if that is clean?

You have open loop or closed loop?

Old 02-11-07, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

After much research, we found out the heat pump was never kicking into the lower speed to take out the humidity. At times, in the basement it was like walking through a sheet of humidity.
Lots of IFS IFS here

Like said just what do you have there .Sq ft of home and how many ton AC? What was the heatloss and AC load call for

Out of the box here. But the AC is to big for the home. cant run long enough to get the humidity out of the home.
Is the blower a V/S coil unit?? Thats where you would start with the humidity control. To drop the speed of the blower motor .Not on a two speed compressor. To take out more humidity.

The heat now works fine, but the unit seems to stop and then start and hesitates during the heating cycle. It seems to run most of the time.
What stops and starts???? pumps ??/compressor???? Blower????

Old 02-12-07, 10:33 PM
M
Reply to questions re: Econar

Appreciate your interest in our predicament.
My wife asked me to provide answers to your questions.

1. It is an Econar Model # GV581-1-V020
Geosource Vara 2 Plus Heat Pump

2. Yes, the coil is clean. Cleaned it repeatedly last summer. We us high quality air filters and change them faithfully.

3. It is a closed loop system. 5 wells at 200 feet.

4. What does IFS stand for?

5. It is a 3,400 sq. ft. house. 5 ton heat pump. We live in ND so we need it on the heating side. I would be very concerned about the a/c being oversized if we did not have the Vara 2 model.

6. I don't know the heat loss and the a/c load call.

7. V/S Coil Unit. I assume that stands for variable speed? Yes it is.

8. She meant to say that the fan has a point at which it hesitates. Like a tranny that slips at times. It seems to be a consistent pattern where it hesitates right when it is coming off of high speed and is shifting down to low. We don't think this is a related issue but is another item that causes us to lose faith in the reliability of this particular heat pump.

Once again, we do appreciate your help.

Old 02-13-07, 07:48 AM
Ok if you can look for me and let me know what it set at.

On the board where the blower wires goes to, What plug is at A.B.C.D

-Low
-Med
-High
-Adj (+ blank or -)

and for the t-stat wires.

What is wired up at the t-stat's subase and on the board.

Ed ment if.... "If it is that, it could be that.. If it this, could that...."

Old 02-13-07, 02:39 PM
Wink

4. What does IFS stand for

Like said IF its this or IF its that

V/S Coil Unit. I assume that stands for variable speed? Yes it is.

Then did they put a humidity control on it????

The heat now works fine, but the unit seems to stop and then start and hesitates during the heating cycle. It seems to run most of the time.
So what stops and starts????

Old 02-13-07, 03:21 PM
Ed,

That was the first thing I looked up to see if this unit able to have humidistat added, and no. Only option you have is desuperheater. (Hot water)

I am going to wait and see what speed the blower is set at.

Old 02-13-07, 03:55 PM
Talking

It has a V/S motor Runs on DC . the Pdf said controled by the tstat So why not a humidistat Then to cut the speed down like in a Trane?????

Old 02-13-07, 04:07 PM
We could cut it down if it's already set higher, but the manual says this uses the same speed as heating... so we can only do 10% up or down from factory setttings.

we could go even lower if we wanted to, but then in heat mode, may risk it going to cycle in high pressure.

Old 02-13-07, 04:33 PM
Talking

The humidistat To drop speed would only have to work for the AC run . Not for the heat. From what they say here ill bet that the compressor dont drop off to 1stage for cool. From all the humidity they talk about

Old 02-13-07, 05:13 PM
Ed,

here is the file

http://www.econar.com/InstallationManuals/90-1043,%20GeoSource%20Vara%202%20Plus%20Forced%20Air.pdf

Old 02-13-07, 08:48 PM
M
Heat Pump Board Settings

I went down and found the information that you wanted on the plugs on the board for the blower --

Low is B
Med is C
High is C
Adj is Blank

I could not figure out what you meant by "What is wired up at the t-stat's subase and on the board."

Thank you.

Bob

Old 02-13-07, 08:58 PM
Talking

Jay if you just read the Pdf page 2 par D it will tell you that this is a V/S. Now how he is comeing up with just a 3 speed motor I sure dont know

Old 02-14-07, 06:38 AM
Ed, Yes I know it's a variable speed blower. but read on in Part B page 3 telling you about the blower speed when t-stat calls for....... This unit does not have the BK like Trane has. so humidistat can not be added. (look at page 17)

Then go on to page 5 table #2 tells you how many CFM is at on A B C D is at.

Bob

So you got the GV58 model, and according the to book it should all 4 speed should be plugged into B.

A qustion for you.. Do you run your fan 24/7?

Here what I suggest,

Low should be moved back to B not A

Med Low already set at C (about 350cfm per ton)

Med High at C

High leave at B (We want to keep the air moving in electric heat mode)

Then the last one at -10%

I know it's below zero out now, and not going to do much good trying to run it in cool mode.

When you did run it last summer, how long did it stay in cool mode? (run time?)

As what I meant for the t-stat wire is the Thermostat low voltage wire... Is R, to Red W to white.., Y1....ect hooked up at the t-stat with , and then at the board on the heat pump Red to R...

Old 02-14-07, 11:59 AM
Wink

Yes I know it has to be put on the stabs for the diff speeds
but we are talking about AC. Thats why Im trying to slow the motor down
It is a 3,400 sq. ft. house. 5 ton heat pump. We live in ND
Id say thats a lot of AC for the home and for up there. So Im starting to think that the compressor could be wired wrong and 1 and 2 stage AC come on so that puts the blower motor in high speed are what ever it is set at. The stage that the compressor is in controls the motor speed.If just the 1st stage of the compressor came on then the blower should run in what ever the low speed is set at. There by getting more humidity out of the home

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: