Heat Pump Nightmare!!!

Old 02-12-07, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump Nightmare!!!

I have been living in my new home for a little over a year. thisis a new home and I am the only owner. I have two (2) seperate units. A 5 ton 14 Seer heat pump (#HHP460GKC2) with Air handler and 20kw heat kit (EBP6000B) and also a 2 1/2 ton 14 seer heat pump (#HHP430AKC2) with 10KW heat kit and air handler for the loft.
Can someone tell me what the temp should be coming out of the registers if it is 35 degrees outside.
5 ton heat pump is blowing out 80 to 83 and 20KW heat kit at 85 to 87.
2 1/2 ton heat pump is blowing out under 65 and inside is starting to freeze.
Last night the complete 5 ton heat pump was froozen over including the outside. the whole thing looked white. Is that normal?
The 2 1/2 is staying froozen on the inside and blowing could.
This heat pump is not being cost effective for me. I keep the house at 70 unless we go into several days of under 25 and the I kick it down to stay on 67 and use emer to help keep it up. Last month alone I used 7500KW. That can not be right can it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-07, 04:34 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
temps to low! call home builder back and have tech look at equipment.

Old 02-13-07, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
temps to low! call home builder back and have tech look at equipment.
What should the temps blow out? I had a tech there within the last week and they changed the 20KW heat kit because it was flipping one of the breakers in my panel. That didnt fix it and it kept doing it so i changed the breaker and it hasnt done it since. I woke up this morning and it was 67 degrees in the main level and had it set to 72 and the loft was 63 and set to 69. What should the temps be coming out of the registers if the outside is 25 to 30 degrees. Also last night we had rain/ice and a little snow. Nothing to much just enough to make the roads bad.

I have been having this problem since I moved in which was last winter and the installer wont call back so I contacted the distributor and another tech came out and I am having the same problem. Correct me if Iam wrong but the heat pump should be able to keep the house warm to 70 degrees at outside temp of 25, is that correct?

Is there something that I can check?

And how much ice or frost should build up on the heat pumps?

And when I go into emer heat with the 20KW what should it blow out? It was blowing about 83 to 85 this morning. My unit is a heil if i didnt tell you that before.

Old 02-13-07, 11:09 AM
Go back to the Distributor

I would go back to the distributor and explain that you are continuing to have the same problems. At least they sent somebody out unlike the original installer who won't even recontact you.

If the distributor won't or can't resolve the problem, I would go right to the manufacturer with you problems/questions. I suspect they have some type of Contact Us section on their web site where you could e-mail all of your questions.

You might even do this before the tech returns so you could compare the techs answers to what the manufacturer says.

One thing I would be very concerned about is replacing the breaker that keeps tripping. I assume you put in a larger breaker which defeats the purpose of the breaker and could lead to wiring and/or equipment damage or even worse, a fire.

The breaker is sized for the unit and it should be spelled out on the spec. panel for the equipment. If the breaker was tripping, it was probably because the equipment was malfunctioning.

The exterior unit should not freeze up. It is supposed to go through a defrost cycle to keep the unit from looking like a block of ice.

Good luck--If these units are still under warranty, I would file some written notification with the original installer, distributor and manufacturer now to document the units failures so you don't run into the arguement that your warranty has run out down the road when they finally get around to detecting the problem.

Old 02-13-07, 11:28 AM
The unit itself has a 60 and a 50 breaker. In my panel box I have a 60 and a 60. What I did was change those 2 with eachother to see if it would trip out on the same line or flip the same breaker in a different spot in the box to see if the breaker was bad. I would have thought that if there was a problem it would flip the breaker on the unit not in the panel. Is that correct?

I don't believe that it should freeze up that way either. I try to keep watching it for hours at a time to see if it defrost but it wont and it should. Everyone around here says that it should freeze and then go into defrost mode which if iam correct puts the unit into A/C mode to defrost. Is that correct? If so its staying the a/c on my 2 1/2 ton for long periods of time as in over 30 mins which is not correct.

Could any of this have anything to do with it needing to be charged? I dont know to much about that but read it in some threads. mine is R22 if that makes since.

Is there anything that I can do to check the system?

I had to go into Emer this morning cause it dropped 5 degrees in the house over night with outside temp of 27 and rain. This means Iam burning 30KW/hour for heat strips.

They replaced the 20kw and it dont seem to have changed anything. I still think that there is a problem with heat pump and or airhandler but i dont know what to look for to find out. All of them just make excuses that its cold outside and thats why. We are going into the next 4-5 days of teens and single digets and its going to be cold if i dont figure something out
I will contact the manufacture to see what they say or at least they will have something on file.
Does anyone know what the temps should be out of the registers on heat pump if outside is 20, 25, or 30 degrees and also what temp should blow on 20KW heat strips and 10KW heat strips? Is there a method to figure it?
My next guess is, IS MY DUCTWORK WRONG???

Old 02-13-07, 11:35 AM
Wink

You have so many IFS IFS here its hard to say or start.
First to say what the temp out should be at a given temp outside is hard to say.
When the heat pump is onthe big copper line should be warm to hot at tthe inside coil unit.
I woke up this morning and it was 67 degrees in the main level and had it set to 72 and the loft was 63 and set to 69.
Most tstat when the heat pump cant keep up and you have a 1o or 2o drop here. the electric elements should have kicked in and help the heat pump out to give you the 72oand 69o
The 2 1/2 is staying froozen on the inside and blowing could.
This looks like stuck in defrost and low on freon.
Last night the complete 5 ton heat pump was froozen over including the outside. the whole thing looked white. Is that normal?
This should have went into defrost at some time.

Correct me if Iam wrong but the heat pump should be able to keep the house warm to 70 degrees at outside temp of 25, is that correct?
Well yes should be but what did the paper work call for. Most will say like to heat the home to 0o that can be with the electric back up. Then like with the AC to cool the home like 15o from the outdoor temp

I dont know the heat loss of the home but 20Kw on a 5 ton unit is small to me for defrost or for EME heat
Id for sure call and get on Heil there
My next guess is, IS MY DUCTWORK WRONG???
lets fix the units first ----- then check the duct work

Filters clean and new?????????

Old 02-13-07, 11:46 AM
house is 2040sqft main level (same in basement which makes the 5 ton heating 4080sqft). The 2 1/2 ton is heat the loft and 2 seperat rooms and sqft up top is about 1200sqft. Loft is open to living room with vaulted ceilings.

So what size heat kits should i have or do you recommed?

My tstat is not set up to change over to emer when needed. I was told it was several times and found out that the white rogers stat that i have cant do that. I dont know if that is true or not. So i manually put it in to emer. Should i change the tstat? Would that save me money and maybe solve some of the problems?

Iam going to have someone check freon. want to be prepared when they got the to make sure they are checking everything that needs to be checked. Already paid for 1 service call and they dont seem like they want to find the problem.

Old 02-13-07, 01:58 PM
Wink

My tstat is not set up to change over to emer when needed. I was told it was several times and found out that the white rogers stat that i have cant do that. I dont know if that is true or not

BULL On any of the heatpump tstat if the heat pump cant keep up with the temp then the elements should kick in.
To give you heat for what the tsat is set at.

On a 5 ton heat pump:: Idont know your heat loss . But you could have a 25Kw to 30 kw in it for sure

feel the big copper lines are they warm ?????

Old 02-13-07, 02:20 PM
I will check the copper line when i get home.
As for the tstat, it don't kick in when it gets to cold. It calls for it (the flame blinks off and on) but it wont kick over. Heat pump still runs. I will read the manual myself when i get home and see if I can figure it out. Because the tech told me it couldnt cause it was an entry level tstat.

Old 02-13-07, 04:51 PM
mjb
What is an entry level thermostat? I have never heard of such a thing.