Tremendous electric bill new heat pump

Old 02-14-07, 10:38 AM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tremendous electric bill new heat pump

I just installed a new Lennox heat pump (5ton) in a new log home approximately 3,000 square feet. I just received my first electric bill $700.00 I about passed out. Home is well insulated. Someone said my line from the outside unit to the duct work in the house is too small causing this. The lines in and out are about 3 inches before they connect to some large duct work. Anybody know what could be causing the problem? Just moved from a very similar home in the same area with $250 electric bills.

Old 02-14-07, 10:54 AM
D
Heat pump

My friend had that problem and after checking he found the the thermostat was set on 'emergency heat'. Make sure yours is set on 'heat' and Automatic.

If it's set that way, it's like running your electric dryer 24/7, pulls a hole bunch of amps.

Let me know if you find out anything else.

Earl,,,,, xxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx

Last edited by DIYaddict; 02-26-07 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Email address removed/This is for your protection and to prevent your email from being filled with spam.
Old 02-14-07, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Someone said my line from the outside unit to the duct work in the house is too small causing this. The lines in and out are about 3 inches before they connect to some large duct work. Anybody know what could be causing the problem

Just what lines are we talking about??? The copper lines to the blower coil unit??? They wont be 3"
Filter clean??? Feel the big copper line at the outside unit . When on is it hot to warm ???? Tstat wired right??? No elements stuck on????

Old 02-21-07, 02:39 PM
F
High electric bill

Turns out the electric company sent an engineer out and the compressor was not even coming on. The only heat I was getting since the unit was put in a month ago was from the auxillary heat units. The engineer said the fan was staying on and keeping the units cooling all the time. The company that installed the unit came out after I found this out and fixed the problem, but they were pretty indignant about it. I thought they should be glad I wasn't going back after them for the $700 electric bill that was ran up because of this.

Old 02-21-07, 03:06 PM
Wink

New filter every 30 days helps to.

Old 02-22-07, 06:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can most likely have the unit wired so that the heating elements are on a separate breaker. Then you can simply turn that breaker off and the heat strips will never come on unless you want them to.

I wired my unit that way, and only turn the breaker on if it is suppose to get below freezing.

Old 02-22-07, 02:29 PM
Wink

You need the power to the electric elements to come on when the pump goes into defrost. Cause thats the AC side and it coulld blow cold air.

Old 02-26-07, 07:12 PM
Cool

Yeah, you're going to want that back up heat during the defrost cycle.
When the system is config correctly, just let it do its job. For mor information on heat pumps, here's a good source I found:

http://writetechpublications.com/

Old 02-26-07, 07:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guess it depends on how cold it gets in your area and how long your defrost runs. In 3 winters, I've yet to notice the lack of heat during defrost. It doesn't blow warm air, but it's not cold either, just room air being recirculated.

Old 03-05-07, 06:22 PM
A
Lennox

Hello, i am a lennox installer, and it seems to me that your electric backup heat maybe causing your high bill. When the outside compressor is in-operable, it will activate the electric section inside the blower cabinet inside your house causing the high amounts of energy use... This is usually used when equipment fails, as a backup.. Also for example, If setting a temperature greater of about 1 or 1.5 degrees could also activate the heat, because the outside unit cannot supply the house with the heat fast enough... Also, thermostats can be the problem activating the electric heat. There is usually a setting in the initial installation of the thermostat for 'economy' or 'comfort' meaning activating electric heat based on this setting, with 'economy' running cheaper... Check the thermostat model/manual for settings, tests, etc... Hope this will help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: