Thermostat

Old 02-16-07, 06:06 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Thermostat

I have a heat pump manufactured by Goodman (single stage heat) and I replaced my old thermostat with a new Honeywell Digital Thermostat RTH 3100C (non-programmable). I thought the differential on my old thermostat was set at about 2 to 3 degrees. However, on this new thermostat there is no way to set the differential and I don't find a programming feature for CPH. The only programmable features are Auxilliary heat cycle rate and Emergency heat cycle rate.

The thermostat will be set for 70 degrees and the temperature will read 70 and the unit still will be running. I called Honeywell technical support and got someone in India or the Phillipines and they told me for example if the thermostat is set to 70 degrees, the temperature might have to get to 70.5 or higher etc. not just 70.0 before it satisfied the thermostat. Is that correct?

As you can imagine when the outside temperature is in the teens the unit seems to run almost all the time and to look at the thermostat (for example set for 69 degrees - temp registering 69 degrees) you would think it would be satisfied and and the unit would cut off. Can anyone offer advice of how to solve this problem?

Is there anything I can do other than get a different thermostat to solve the problem?

If I do need to get a new thermostat what brand and model do you recommend that will allow me to set the differential or some way solve this problem?

Old 02-16-07, 07:59 AM
M
mjb
I had the same problem with Honeywell and their Indian representative. What a joke, this guy did not know what he was talking about. I own a Goodman heat pump and highly recommend the Robert Shaw 9420 non programmable thermostat. There are no rediculous gadgets, just the settings you need for a heat pump. You will have the ability to change the differential settings for both 1st and 2nd stage(aux) heating. Only drawback is you will have to order it online.

Old 02-16-07, 12:36 PM
Honeywell is the best t-stat you are going to get.

yes, these now t-stat now days have a good temp control, and you will not see the swing.. Just set it and forget it.

I am on a time crush, but is there an option for system type? If yes, pick the Hotwater/high effct. furnace.

Will make the system run longer, and longer down time.

Old 02-16-07, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

When we have the out door temp in the teens . The out put of a heat pump is very low . So yes it will run and run a lot are all the time. just about stay with the heat loss of the home . Noway reach the temp set on the tstat

Old 02-16-07, 08:59 PM
M
mjb
Did you ever have to talk to those tech reps at Honeywell? These people do not know the product and could not explain to me what triggers the 2nd stage(aux) heat. You have no way of changing the temperature differential on this thermostat. Furthermore, the Robert Shaw 9420 allows for 2nd stage to activate at a choice of 20, 40, or 60 minute interval if the temperature does not rise by 1/2 degree. Thus, allowing the heat pump to reach its set point temp more efficiently.

Hey dididodat, let us know how it all turns out. Thanks!!!

Last edited by mjb; 02-16-07 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-17-07, 05:19 AM
yes, I've talked to Honeywell, and have no problems with them.

I've talked to them right here in Minnesota, and gotten good answers.

You do not need a timer to kick in 2nd stage, Honeywell learns your home heat lost and works very well. I have the VisionPro line on my wall, and 2nd stage works well when we were having our -10 to -15 nights. longer run time in 1st stage provides much better comfort. My rooms all over are with in 1 degrees from each other.

You want the equipment to run vs stop and go.. Look at your car, where are you going to get better gas milage? City stop and go or highway driving with cruse on??

Old 02-17-07, 06:02 AM
N
I would recommend staying with a prog. tstat. The manual ones will click on the emerg. heat as soon as you turn the temp up. The prog. type takes the variables of indoor, outdoor temp and demand and 'ramps the temperature up so the aux heat doesn't come on as much. You can always turn one into a manual tstat by going into manual.

Old 02-17-07, 08:07 AM
M
mjb
I do not believe you are saving much if the heat pump runs for hours and not reach its set point like mine did with that Honeywell stat. I realize that the Vision Pro is probably the best stat out there. I like the set it and leave it application. By the way how did you get a Minnesota contact. That is not what you get when you buy a Honeywell. Try calling that (800) number yourself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: