thermostat flashes, heat pump snaps

Old 02-25-07, 07:53 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy thermostat flashes, heat pump snaps

My heat pump make loud snapping noises that correspond with the thermostat flashing. This is in normal heat. The outdoor condenser has frozen over once and needed thawed manually. It thaws now on its own.

The thermostat is a Honeywell and the condenser is a Rheem Classic IX.

I recently purchased the house so I do not know its history and am new to the heat pump technology. Any & all help/suggestions are appreciated!

Old 02-25-07, 08:14 AM
nap
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't know what you consider "loud" but when your heat pump is energized, a relay does become energized and will make a snap. Just depends if it is a relay that should be making some sound or something else that is not intended.

the t-stat flashing; explain what you mean by "flashing"

Old 02-25-07, 08:58 AM
M
mjb
The heat pump is probably going into defrost mode which energizes the reversing valve and temporaraly sets system in ac mode to melt ice off the condenser coils. Furthermore, the flashing on the t-stat is indicating that the auxillary heat strips are energized during the defrost mode. Continued flashing after defrost mode may indicate other problems with the system. Hope this helps.

Old 02-25-07, 04:50 PM
H
Wink em heat/loud snap

The thermostat has two lights at the bottom left. The 1st going left to right is a red light "EM HEAT" and the last is a green light "EM HEAT". The latter (EM HEAT) flashes green exactly as the snap from the heat pump occurs. By loud I mean I can hear it snap inside the house with the windows closed. Thanks for the fast reply BTW...

Originally Posted by nap View Post
I don't know what you consider "loud" but when your heat pump is energized, a relay does become energized and will make a snap. Just depends if it is a relay that should be making some sound or something else that is not intended.

the t-stat flashing; explain what you mean by "flashing"

Old 02-25-07, 04:52 PM
H
Thumbs up Thanks

I guess I best call in the pro on this one - thanks for the quick reply ... r

Originally Posted by mjb View Post
The heat pump is probably going into defrost mode which energizes the reversing valve and temporaraly sets system in ac mode to melt ice off the condenser coils. Furthermore, the flashing on the t-stat is indicating that the auxillary heat strips are energized during the defrost mode. Continued flashing after defrost mode may indicate other problems with the system. Hope this helps.

Old 02-25-07, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I guess I best call in the pro on this one - thanks for the quick reply ... r
From the sound of things there might tell him to bring a defrost board with him.

Old 02-26-07, 07:08 PM
Wink

You might want to check this out to get familiar with your system:

http://writetechpublications.com/

Check out the heat pump operation manual.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: