Trane xl16i with mv90 system

Old 02-26-07, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Trane xl16i with mv90 system

I have recently purchased a trane xl16i heat pump system with a variable speed mv90 two stage furnace backup. I paid to have this system zoned and have a tz4 Honeywell zoning board with trane tcont803as32 thermostats. My installer is having a very hard time getting this system up and running. After talking with Honeywell, They recommended having the tstat control the staging of the hp and having the furnace controll the staging of the backup because the tstat only controls 3 stages of heat (I am a little confused here). We are using the fossil fuel kit integrated in the zoning board.

My question regards around the programming of the thermostat.
1. What is the system type? 3heat/2cool hp with aux heat or 2heat/2cool with no aux heat. There are no heat strips. I am guessing 3/2 w aux heat.

2. what is the difference between Aux heat and em heat?

3. if 3/2 with aux heat then I assume that setting 260 (cycles per hour for 3rd stage heat) should be set to 3cph used for 2-stage fossil fuel forced air systems.

4. There is a test mode for the heat with an option labeled (3) that "3-stages 1,2 and 3(Aux Ht) on. This would run the furnace and hp at the same time. That is susposed to be very bad right?

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-07, 03:24 PM
Wink

First ! You dont say how big the units are???? Then why would you try and put zones on a set up like this????? You should have a cut off tstat on the heat pump and go over to the furnace.

Old 02-27-07, 08:54 PM
The system is a 3 ton system. I wanted to go with a two stage system because of zoning it controls a smaller space and for the extra dehumidification in the summer. I chose the 90% two stage furnace due to venting options.

I am zoning the system so I can control the temperature of my living space separate from my bedrooms.

I am not sure what a cut off tstat is. I know the tstat I have is a universal tstat and can control both hp or convential systems (it was the most advanced trane tstat 6 months ago built by honeywell of course). According to the tstat manual, it recommends a dual fuel kit to control the change over to the fossil fuel backup. This seems like a good option to keep from running outdoor sensors to each tstat and then getting into a master and subordinate tstat situation.

Old 02-27-07, 10:14 PM
Wink

. Boy out of the box here

My installer is having a very hard time getting this system up and runnin

I think here is where all your trouble is and will be. The thinking as to how the units will work is all wrong. First to try and put a zone set up on just a 3 ton set up . Thats a bad start for sure. The units you have are very good. But how the duct work is set up I cant say,good are bad.
Now you need a tstat there to say only if you need heat are cool and 1 stage or 2nd stage heat or cool thats all there at that tstat. Now with a heat pump you for sure need a outdoor cut off tstat.

"According to the tstat manual, it recommends a dual fuel kit to control the change over to the fossil fuel backup
You have to have one for sure here to say what heat will run . The furnace or the heatpump. Not the indoor tstat.

"the extra dehumidification in the summer."

With that V/S blower there you can put a humidistat on the unit . That will slow the blower down to take out more humidityon AC for you. It works auto and the temp will work off the tstat and run the AC 1 or2 stage.
The diff on EME heat is like something dont work on the heat pump you go to the elec or gas. The AUX is like back up for the heat pump.Or when it goes into defrost

My .02 cents ED

Old 03-07-07, 12:59 PM
Exclamation Zoning

You will never get your new system to function properly with honeywell zoning and Trane xl16i or variable speed. Trane is in the process of research and development for Trane zoning compatabilty with the xl16i product line. Honeywell systems will work only Trane does NOT recomend the use of them due to Trane zoning is fully modulating dampers and relief or bypass and other manufactures do not do this. Do you have a MV or XV furnace? Is it newly installed Trane?

Old 03-21-07, 08:19 PM
I have an MV90 furnance and it was installed in November of last year.
What do you mean by fully modulating dampers and relief or bypass?

Old 03-21-07, 10:46 PM
Wink

To pput zones on one unit dont work to good in a home.
When we talk about a bypass damper. When one zone is calling 1200cfm is to much for one zone duct. So you put a bypass in the duct so some of that air. Just goes back in to the cold air return. Or like goes round and round. Some time on AC it can freeze the coil. it can also drop the temp to fast and shut off. That way it dont get the humidity out of the home for you

Old 03-24-07, 05:57 AM
Your installer? Time for him to get backup, call the Honeywell Rep.
This is a complex situation that may be hard to diagnos with out being on site.

Modulating Dampers are digitally controlled dampers that open and close off to regulate CFM per zone. These should be sized correctly for your zones. Your installer should have installed these with the Honeywell Zone modual.
How many zones are you installing?

A relief By pass is for Air Handlers/Furnaces with out varilble speed capibilities.
If you shut off Zone dampers the excess air will then flow through the bypass back to the return air intake of the unit.

If set up properly your zones will work. But make sure your contractor/installer takes his time and then when complete, spend a couple hours going through everything with you checking your cfm per zone with heat and cool.