Gaspack replacement ?

Old 03-04-07, 08:54 AM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Gaspack replacement ?

(Thanks for any help) I need to replace my 15 yr old Ruud gas pack unit. The burners are rusted out and the the compressor has been giving problems the last couple of summers. What i'm wondering is can i replace it with a heat pump. I have found over the internet that i can order direct and install it myself. What do you guys think of a Goodman heatpump package unit. I can get a 13 seer 3 ton unit for 2112.99 which includes shipping. My house is 1256 sq ft and is well insulated with 8' ceilings and built over a crawlspace. I live in or close to fayettville NC and the winters are usually mild to moderate and the summers on average 90 or below. Would it be necessary to install electric strips in the unit or just not worry about it. I had a heat pump on another house i lived in that had heat strips but i don't think they ever came on. I have a gas fireplace in the house that puts out 30,000 BTU. Also if i were to order this would i need to order the horizontal square to round converter panel or could i use the one on the Ruud. ....Thanks for any replys..

Old 03-04-07, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

First id go to http://warmair.net and compare fuel cost for where you are. See if gas are electric is best for you.

Goodman Id put at the bottom of the line . If you buy it who will back it up and service it?????

My house is 1256 sq ft and is well insulated with 8' ceilings and built over a crawlspace. I live in or close to fayettville NC and the winters are usually mild to moderate and the summers on average 90 or below. Would it be necessary to install electric strips in the unit or just not worry about it. I had a heat pump on another house i lived in that had heat strips but i don't think they ever came on.
3 ton for this is too big. You have to have the strips in the unit if only for when it goes into defrost.
Have you got a 6 mil poly down on the ground in that crawl space??

Old 03-04-07, 12:28 PM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks Ed for the info.....Yes my house does have a 6 mil vapor barrier on the ground...What size unit would you recommend, and what brand do you like. I do think a heat pump would do fine here with the mild winters we have...Also what watt heat strips do you think i could get by with....Thanks

Old 03-04-07, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

You have to do a heat lost and a AC load on a home to find out what you need there. Id say get 3 bids on the job and see what they come up for the heat loss and AC load

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: