concerned about system - have questions

Old 03-05-07, 10:23 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
concerned about system - have questions

I've had some problems with my heat this year and have a company coming out to help me fix problems. I'm still not very satisfied with the outcome and wanted to question some recomendations that the company made to me.

My house is just under 1200 sqft and I have a 2 ton unit all Electric and its not a heat pump. I've had problems with the unit running constantly and the air not being very warm. Its cycling now and is warmer but I dont feel like its consistant. Right now the duct work for the return is 16 inches. They told me that the return vent is too big and if I would switch out the return duct work to 14 inches that it would be better for my system. Also, the voltage at the unit (in the attic) is 226 volts. They said most systems they work on are getting at least 240 "ish" and I should have my power company check voltage at the meter. I did, they said its fine. The heating compnay feels like the unit isnt running the best it should because of this voltage problem. Before I go any further I wanted to question both of these ideas put in front of me by the heating company. Just a note, I have installed a new honeywell digital thermastat replacing the old manual one that came with the unit in 2001.

Any ideas?

Old 03-05-07, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I have a 2 ton unit all Electric and its not a heat pump.
Have to ask why is it not a heat pump if the home is all electric??????
A big return duct dont hurt the set up there.
The elements in a unit all work the same like from 208V to 240V Most of the time the power anywhere is just 220 V
Now do you have the right Kw elements in there for btu of heat???? Are you sure that they are all comeing on for heat when you need them????

Old 03-06-07, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Duct leakage is more of a problem than you might think. Ed is right, a large return duct is not a bad thing. It may be beneficial to contact someone who could tell you if the ducts in the attic are leaky. The voltage is within tolerance.

Ken

Old 03-06-07, 05:45 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Find another HVAC company!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: