Gas Pack to Heat Pump

Old 03-17-07, 02:18 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Pack to Heat Pump

I have a 13 seer 2 ton gas pack which is only 5 yrs old. We purchased the 1098 sq ft. home a little over a year ago and I truly hate the gas heat. I live in eastern NC and moved back here from Charleston, SC where we used a heat pump for 25 yrs. I can't get used to the hot heat that the gas pack puts out so I am replacing with heat pump. I got a quote from a very reputable HVAC contractor who also installed a unit in my daughter's home. The quote was $3000 (Coleman 13 seer, 2 ton) and he said he would have to change out all the duct work because it would not be the right size for the heat pump. Does this make sense? The ductwork is as new as the gas pack which was installed 5yrs ago, so see no reason to replace unless necessary. He charged my daughter $2800 and had to put in all duct work and registers since there was a floor furnace before. Is he trying to snow me? And is Coleman a good reputable brand. Had Carrier in SC and didn't have any problems.

Also, my neighbor wants to buy my gas pack and I haven't the slightest idea as to a fair selling price. The unit is a Rheem Rudd, 2 ton 13 seer, 80K BTU and of couse is 5 yrs old.

Recap Questions:
1. Does the ductwork have to be replaced?
2. Is Coleman a reputable brand heat pump?
3. Fair selling price for the gas pack?

Thanks to all for your help!

Old 03-17-07, 11:50 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

#1 I dont see why you need new duct work if you had a 2 ton AC on it now. Any trouble with air in the rooms
Be sure and get 3 bids

#2 Id say just Fair . But a lot is in who puts it in and backs it
#3 Hard to say what to sell it for . What ever the going price is there

Old 03-18-07, 06:35 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cawillms

I personally think you are making a mistake.

But I would verify the size of the existing Rheem gaspak. 80 KBTU for gas heat is very high for a 2 ton package unit. What size heating strip has your dealer recommended for the heat pump? Has he calculated your heating and cooling load?

1.Don't understand why ductwork has to be changed out. I would want an explanation.

2.Coleman is low end. I would not even consider them especially for a heat pump. I assume you are speaking of a package heat pump system.

3.As far as a reasonable fair price for existing Rheem, my idea would be in the $300-$400 range assuming system is operating correctly and buyer/neighbor understands system comes with no warranty from you.

IMO

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: