Heat Pump = Bad Compressor?

Old 03-29-07, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump = Bad Compressor?

I'll try to keep this as breif as possible yet explain the situation.

I have an 8 year old Trane heat pump (sorry no modle number). 2 years ago when summer rolled around the air conditioner wouldn't put out cool air. Service tech came out, said we had a small freon (?sp?) leak and recharged the system. He said the leak was so small he could not find it. Unit worked fine for the rest of the summer.

Last summer, same problem, same diagnosis, same fix, same results.

This December I noticed that there was a large amount of water in the pan under the air handler in the attic. Tech comes out, cleans out pan and installs float switch. I ask him to check freon while he is there. He says it is low and charges system but unable to locate leak.

February, wife and kids complaining that they are cold yet thermostat indicates house is 72 degrees. I let it go and then the electric bill comes in this month. Kilowatt usage is double what it was a year ago at the same time. Soon after outside temps reach upper 70's so we decide to turn on the air for a while, same problem, no cool air.

I call the tech back and now he says that it sounds like the compressor isn't turning on. He said it sounds as if the heat pump was using aux strips to heat last month and same reason the A/C won't work.

Now I'm totally lost, any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-07, 06:20 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If this is the same tech Id find another one!

Old 03-30-07, 12:09 PM
First,
Every Good Technition should be able to find your leak!
We use freon detectors, I have never NOT found a leak.
It may be an extra charge to find the leak, the customer at this time can elect not to have the leak found but then there is no guarantee of how long the freon will remain.

Your problem is,
Your system has a leak,
Freon in a heat pump cools and heats your home.
Normally If your demand for heat reaches over 2 degrees your auxilary electric heat strips will come on.
Heat strips cost 3 times as much to use, then your heatpump alone.

Now you called a tech on the phone?
Or he came out and said the compressor is not running?
is the condensing fan running outside?

If just the compressor is not running, then because it is low on refrigerent it may be out on thermal overload. Freon also cools your compressor so that it runs.

You got to get your leak fixed! Find a different company!

Leaks in heatpumps most common first
Evaporator-inside
Accumulator-outside
Condensing coil-outside
Brazed joint on line set
hardest is line set its self that is hidden.

If your system is in the attic and everything accessable was tested Evaporator and Condensor, your line set maybe where the leak is at.

Old 03-30-07, 08:26 PM
Wink

This December I noticed that there was a large amount of water in the pan under the air handler in the attic. Tech comes out, cleans out pan and installs float switch. I ask him to check freon while he is there. He says it is low and charges system but unable to locate leak.

This is the part that get me. Where did the water come from. Did it go into defrost and low on freon, freeze up???? Get a new tech to work on it for sure. 8 years old . If the leak is in the blower coil .Dont try and fix it . Put a new coil in.

Old 04-02-07, 06:00 PM
Clue?

"This December I noticed that there was a large amount of water in the pan under the air handler in the attic. Tech comes out, cleans out pan and installs float switch. I ask him to check freon while he is there. He says it is low and charges system but unable to locate leak."

Sounds like someone gets in the attic often.

First as Dave said if you have a leak it can and should be found. We have electronis detectors, UV Dye and UV lights to find those really small rascals and as a lat resort seperate the system into 4 parts and use nitrogen. Pressurize the indoor coil, outdoor coil and each of the two linset lines seperately and see which leaks down first.

But water in the pan in winter? And you happened to be in the attic?

Where is your line set? Do you have flooring in the attic? Low charge on a long shot could cause a freeze in the evap in heating I guess but the most probable cause is a kink (sharp bend) in the suction line (the big pipe Richard). This would form a restriction and could freeze the indoor coil.

Get a new company, look at your line set, ask about Dye.

Dave, Ed your thoughts?

Chris