Heat Pump keeps popping Breaker Air wont work

Old 03-29-07, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump keeps popping Breaker Air wont work

I will make this short. Heil 14 seer 2 1/2 ton unit. I tried to kick my airconditioner on and notice that it wasnt blowing out cold air and was hardly blowing at all. Air was on tstat set to 58 and temp was 80. When down and breaker had popped off. Turned back on and it did the same thing. Changed breaker and samething happened again. I do notice that when the 2 1/2 or the 5 ton kick on lights flicker. Do have correct size breakers.

Can someone help me to figure out what the problem is.

Also anyone know how to get ahold of Heil. I tried with the distributor but i need to go over them. brand new house 1 year old and the units havent worked right wether its the heat or the air.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-07, 12:48 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The website for Heil is:

http://www.heil-hvac.com/

The entire system should still be under warranty. Have you tried (obviously without success) to have the installing company make it work? I sure hope that you have documented all the steps that you have taken.

Old 03-30-07, 08:08 PM
Wink

Like said have you tried the guy that put it in or the builder. Id get on him right now.

I do notice that when the 2 1/2 or the 5 ton kick on lights flicker.

Thats not in the breakers. How is the power to the home a good 220V??? All screws on electric wires tight. Sounds like you have to go into the unit. To see what makes the breakers pop. the units might need a start kit on them . To help start. this wont fix what you have now.

Old 03-30-07, 08:49 PM
Well 1st off thanks to all of you!!! I have been on here alot and got help from you all more than distrib. You all are Great!!!

Yes called installer and he will not help me and thats been going on for 1 year. When he couldnt figure out why we were burning 10000 KW/month he just stopped helping. Distributor knows me by name from all the problems i have had and all they want to do now is give me a # of another installler which means i have to pay labor and hopefully parts are warrantied. Thats why i want to get ahold of someone beside distrib cause its getting me know where. Heil themselves dont have any contact info on website just for there HELP.

I have hd 4 different electicians and the power compamy themselves here and everthing is good on that side so it only leaves one problem which i the units. All screws are tight.

So when you say get into the unit itself that means i have to get someone else to come in? nothin i can do myself? just had him out (perfered installer from distib) same one that told me that its ok for units to freeze completely over!!! Not correct and come to find out there is a switch in tstat o/b which was set wrong.

Is Heil a good brand over all? I have 14 seer heat pump & Air hander/ 20kw on 5 ton and 10kw on 2 1/2. Will heil stand by there product? Anyone know?

Thanks Again

Old 03-30-07, 09:09 PM
Wink

Might try this www http://www.heil-hvac.com/h-feedback.html

tell them what is wrong on it. This is the company

Sorry to say id put heil on the bottom of a list. But a unit is just as good as the guy that put it in.

same one that told me that its ok for units to freeze completely over!!! Not correct and come to find out there is a switch in tstat o/b which was set wrong.

Dont get this ???? The O/B at tha tstat is what makes it go from heat to cool. Now when it is cold out yes the outdoor unit will freeze some. But it should go into a defrost every now and then. if the weather is right when it does it will smoke like. This is just steam is all.

Old 03-30-07, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the link.
Yeah i found out that i chose the wrong installer but to late now.

As far as he o/b problem was it was freezing over and wouldnt put out heat at anytime. I was told to check outside unit and it was set on B (now i might have them backwards so forgive me if i do) but a guy told me that on the white rogers tstat there was a switch in side and it needed to match the wires on out side. orange or red wire was to B on outside and in tstat it was O. On other it was B out and B in. he said that was the problem. It did stop the thing from freezing over and alowed it to go into drfrost mode which it had not been doing. Dont know if it was actually heating or not cause it was not to long ago and now time for air. And hen I say freezing over I mean completely and would stay like that until i turned it off.

So what do you suggest? Should I wait out a rply from Heil? Will they even reply? What m I to do. its costing me lots of money!!!! 500 / month bills and its getting old

Old 03-30-07, 09:29 PM
I forgot to say:
He said the o/b had something to do with gas/electric if iam correct. It is now set the same as the 5 ton and the 5 ton kicks on fine and works. it also makes the lights flicker when it cuts on. said something about a hard start or kick start but i didnt follow him when he was talking about cause it didnt seem that it was an option for me

Old 03-30-07, 09:43 PM
Wink

I think is ask around there and see who the other people call for AC. To check it out. O/B screw up I would like to know if any of the elements come on???? Are I have had some that where stuck on. So some of the heat was on all the time

Old 04-01-07, 08:06 AM
Get a qualified person to check the wiring

An office mate of mine had similar problem with her new house. It turned out that some of insulation on one of the wires near the compressor was grounding out the unit. It was a brand new unit but still she had to replace the wiring in the unit, I am not sure if was covered by warr. or not but it is worth getting someone you can trust to pull it all apart and look.

Being that this is doityourself.com you could try to pull it apart yourself but if you screw something up you are replacing the unit not just some wiring or a few parts.

Old 04-01-07, 03:31 PM
I may be wrong (happens occasionally) but if the O/B was reversed, the unit would run in cooling mode instead of heat when called for and that would not be good at all for the compressor and would also cause your backup heat to run constantly. In fact, that may be what damaged the compressor and has the breaker tripping. I would recommend getting an expert out there and repair the unit and politely ask the original contractor to foot the bill. If he refuses and you have sufficient documentation, have your attorney ask him. He should be glad if you don't also ask him to pay the difference between a normal utility bill and the bills you have had since installation. He may be a good contractor and just made the mistake of sending an untrained installer.

Ken