Trane vs Carrier Heat Pump

Old 03-25-07, 04:55 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane vs Carrier Heat Pump

We have a single story slab construction 1750 SF home located in northwest Florida. We currently have a 22 year old Lennox HP which is working fine but we are planning on replacing the outside unit and air handler.

At this point I am intending to go with one of the two I have listed in the subject line. We have one quote and will be getting two more. The units are 14 seer, don't remember the other number but believe it is close to 9. We are also planning on a variable speed motor with the humidity control feature.

Two questions. 1. Given that the dollar estimate between the two is almost identical is there a good reason to choose one over the other?

2. Is the effort to control humidity this way going to cost more n the long run in power bills than choosing a system without that ability?

Old 03-25-07, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If you will stay in the home for 10 years or more . Go for the good stuff.
Down there and the time you run the AC get a seer of 15 or better on the unit. Also try and stay with the R22 freon it will be made till 2030.
Now yes you want the V/S blower coil unit and the humidistat control on it. it works very good . For sure there you want to get the humidity out of the home . SO yes it pays to have it. I would take a trane first
But for sure get 3 bids for the job. Also checkout the hvac company down there . lived there the past 25 years Thats why I say check them out

Old 03-25-07, 07:35 PM
C
I know your area very well I have ties in A/C in NW Florida.
Are you looking for a Heat pump or Gas Furnace with Straight Cool?

I have installed a few humidifiers in NW Florida when I lived there, and I will say I'm not a fan of them. They clog up very easy! High maintenance, they are not reliable in my opinion. It is better to have a high efficient A/C unit.

If you really like Trane,
You may want to also look into an American Standard Heritage 15 SEER.

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 03-25-07 at 08:09 PM. Reason: could call that an add
Old 03-26-07, 05:46 AM
J
No gas our home is total elec.

Old 03-26-07, 12:34 PM
T
jcgc

Trane makes great heat pumps but Carrier has the best overall system with their Infinity models and controls. If you don't intend on a Carrier Infinity HP system with the Infinity control, then go with Trane.

As said, Trane/AmStd have very reliable HPs but unsophisticated controls for handling humidity and are beginning to lag in efficiency for a top-of-line brand.

Trane has just announced their Spring 07 rebate program and some models like the XL15i qualify for the Federal Energy Eff tax credit depending on size.

You might save a few $$ looking at the Am Std model like the Heritage 15.

IMO

Old 03-26-07, 04:12 PM
J
Originally Posted by ClassicDave
I know your area very well I have ties in A/C in NW Florida.
Are you looking for a Heat pump or Gas Furnace with Straight Cool?

I have installed a few humidifiers in NW Florida when I lived there, and I will say I'm not a fan of them. They clog up very easy! High maintenance, they are not reliable in my opinion. It is better to have a high efficient A/C unit.
Are you referring to a stand alone humidifier in your comment or the function in some of these units?

Old 03-26-07, 06:29 PM
C
Originally Posted by jcgc50
Are you referring to a stand alone humidifier in your comment or the function in some of these units?
Yes I was refering to a stand alone add on humidifier that is added to the unit.
After reading your post again, this is a different feature than you were wondering about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: