Thinking about getting an air-to-air heat pump

Old 04-01-07, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking about getting an air-to-air heat pump

My family is thinking about getting an air-to-air heat pump for our home. Could anyone who has one please tell me your experience with it? I can't seem to find much of anything on the subject except corporate reviews, and I wanted to know what actual people think about them. I live in the northern midwest of the U.S., so there are extended periods of cold weather. Any and all information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-07, 10:21 PM
Wink

Go to http://warmair.net compare fuel cost for where you live. Here in Missouri air to air heatpumps are all we put in anymore. For many many years. You have back up electric heat in the unit. This will heat the home. if need be. Now the air out of the ducts will feel cool to you. But you can set the tstat for what you want and it will heat the home to that.
Now A heatpump will give you 3 times more heat for a $1 as electric elements will for that same $1 down to about 25o. From there it falls off more.
You want to look at the SEER of the unit and also the HSPF. The new V/S blowers work very well for the heat pumps

Old 04-02-07, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
Go to http://warmair.net compare fuel cost for where you live. Here in Missouri air to air heatpumps are all we put in anymore. For many many years. You have back up electric heat in the unit. This will heat the home. if need be. Now the air out of the ducts will feel cool to you. But you can set the tstat for what you want and it will heat the home to that.
Now A heatpump will give you 3 times more heat for a $1 as electric elements will for that same $1 down to about 25o. From there it falls off more.
You want to look at the SEER of the unit and also the HSPF. The new V/S blowers work very well for the heat pumps
So you've been pleased with yours? It works well and all? We've been asking around some among people we know and nobody had even heard of them so I wondered if maybe they just don't work that well.

Old 04-02-07, 07:47 PM
Wink

We have been putting in heat pumps here from back in the 70's . Thats about all we use in old homes and all the new homes.
Also back in the 70's and now if you check any large boats that have a AC on them it also is a heatpump.

Old 04-02-07, 09:01 PM
Where in the northern midwest are you?

Old 04-03-07, 07:23 PM
Jay11J -

I'm in Michigan.

Old 04-03-07, 08:20 PM
Air to Air heat pump may do well times like now, and late fall, where the temps are in the 20's. but when it gets colder, it may rely on back up heat more (I'd look into gas back up) like in Jan when the temps gets down near 0 or colder. I some time wish I made the move myself on a heat pump.

Old 04-03-07, 10:17 PM
Wink

Did you go to that www I gave you and compare fuel cost there ???

Old 04-04-07, 09:03 PM
Ed -

I visited the website but the fuel comparison thing confused me. By what I've heard in the past it sounds like operating an air to air heat pump should be cheaper than propane (which is what we're currently using) but I had concerns about the actual functionality of it.

Old 04-04-07, 09:22 PM
Wink

Lp is to high here . That is why all we put in are heatpumps here. air to air. to many rocks for GOthermal