Wiring for Programmable Thermostat

Old 04-06-07, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring for Programmable Thermostat

I purchased a Honeywell RTH8500 programmable thermostat to replace a Command-Aire manual thermostat. The wiring hooking up to the command aire I currently have has a F, Y2, W2, W1, O, and C wire. The problem I have is that on the wiring for the Honeywell the W1 and O wire would have to go in the same wiring terminal as per the Honeywell wiring diagram. I have identified below the actual wiring terminals for the honewell that is on my unit. The manual says I can place my current F wire into the G, Y2 to Y2, W2 to W2, C to C. Now the manual says to put a W1 into the (W O/B) terminal, but I also have an O wire to put in here. Any ideas as to where I can put the W1 or O wire so that they are not in the same wiring terminal? I have a multi stage heat pump with auxillary electric heating. Thanks

On one side there are Y2 - L - E - Aux/W2 wiring terminals

The other has RC - R - W_O/B - Y - G - C

Last edited by marmaduke; 04-06-07 at 01:37 PM. Reason: wiring diagram came out wrong
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-07, 08:36 PM
I'll explain how the thermostat works and you may be able to figure out how to wire it. It is a little confusing but any time there is a call for heat or cool (first stage) the compressor runs. That is energized by the Y terminal. If it is a call for heat, the O/B is also energized on at least on 90% of the brands. The second stage of heat is brought on by the W1 terminal. W2 is 3rd stage of heat. The F terminal you had was for fan operation. That is the G terminal on the new stat but you already know that. If your heat pump only has one compressor which I think it does, you will not use the Y2 terminal. Some thermostats require a jumper from W1 to E so that the emergency heat switch energizes the second stage of heat. I don't think your new thermostat requires that. The L terminal is for an indicator LED that you may not also have. So I may not have answered your exact question but if you still can't figure it out, post back and I will try again.

Ken

Old 04-07-07, 06:29 PM
Programmable Thermostat

Hi Jen

Thanks for your response. I looked at your information and what I have in terms of old and new thermostat and I cannot figure out Where to put my W1 wire. According to the honeywell instructions I would be putting the the W1 and O wire into the same wiring terminal which is labelled for W _ O/B wires. Further to your response you mention that I would not require the Y2 terminal, however I have a wire labelled Y2 on my old thermostat, your thoughts? Basically I have a wiring terminal from my old thermostat to my new one for the F, Y2, W2, and C. If you can offer any solutions as to the W1 and O wire it would be appreciated. Thanks again for your time.

Old 04-07-07, 10:05 PM
This may be difficult but could you post the model number of the indoor and outdoor units as well as brand name. It would seem that your O terminal is stage one heat, your W1 is stage 2 and your W2 is stage 3. Do you have a Y1 on both thermostats?

Ken

Old 04-08-07, 12:58 PM
Programmable Thermostat

Ken

I found a diagram from the previous home owner of the original Command Aire thermostat. The diagram identifies the wires on the old thermostat as follows.

O = changeover valve
F = Fan relay
Y2 = Compressor contact
W1 = Electric heat
W2 = Additional Heat
C
R

There is a Y on the new thermostat and no Y1 on the old.

The left side of the new thermostat has Y2, L, E, W2, the right side has RC, R, W O/B, Y, G, C.

The make of my heat pump system is Command Aire, model #SWPR6116S.

Not sure if this will help but thanks again for the help.

Old 04-08-07, 07:43 PM
OK lets try this.
The old Y2 goes to Y
The old F goes to G
The old O goes to O
The old W1 goes to the new W1
The old W2 goes to the new W2
The old R goes to the new R
The old C goes to the new C

I hope this clears up the confusion. If not, post back. We are getting close.

Ken

Old 05-11-07, 09:56 PM
Thermostat test?

I have a programable thermostat for my furnace/air conditioner.
On cold mode the a/c outside isn't working. Which terminals in my thermostat
can I cross to test to see if it is the A/C or thermostat?
Thanks, ClayHenry

Old 05-12-07, 05:04 AM
Jumping R to Y will activate the outdoor unit. You can also check for 24 VAC at the outdoor unit on the small thermostat wires. The line voltage out there should be 240 VAC. Be careful around that.

Ken