Flooding into floor vents/ducts help!

Old 04-14-07, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flooding into floor vents/ducts help!

Woke up this morning to an inch of water in several rooms downstairs due to a toilet that had been overflowing all night! The only thing that saved my hardwood floors was the water was draining out around the Furnace/coil in my utiliity room and into the vents/ducts in the floor.

My question now is how to deal with this issue. The unit wasn't running last night and I turned it off this am. Do I need to get into the crawl space and drain the ducts or can I just crank up the heat and hope that will blow out the water? Maybe a combination of both. Also will the water short out/damage the furnace or coil if I turn the unit back on? I'm worried about mold.

As previously stated, I'm scheduled to have a new system installed in a few weeks and don't want to cause any problems. I realize it's hard to know without seeing my system but any input would be very helpful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-07, 09:46 AM
You need to get some dehumidifiers and fans going to reduce humidity and increase air circulation to expedite drying out. Be vigilalnt for signs of mold and mildew. It can take from several weeks to several months for a house to completely dry out.

Running fan on furnace can expedite drying of ducts. If ducts have insulated lining or are fiberglass, these will likely need to be discarded. It is probably best to have the unit inspected by a technician before using.

Old 04-14-07, 02:51 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
With a couple of good dehumidifiers and fans should be able to dry home out in 48 hours!

Old 04-15-07, 11:37 PM
Wink

If you have any ductboard ducts are any of the flex pipe ducts that have insulation on them or in them . For sure take them all out . Dont wast your time to try and dry them out. Check with your home owners insurance. They should pay for all that wet duct work.