heat pump blows out hot air

Old 04-15-07, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
heat pump blows out hot air

my heat pump blows out hot air when it is off or set to cool. i got a new thermostat and that didn't fix it. i touched the red wire and white wire which should turn the heat on and it did not. i touched the red and green wire and the ac came on. i left all connections out and took the cover off the heat pump and the heating coils were glowing red hot. where should my next step be. my brother in-law told me about touching the wires together i have no experience with heat pumps. the fan doesn't turn on when this happens. you can just feel the heat coming out of the vents on the floor. when first turn on the ac it works fine and when it is at room temp. it turns off fan and all then the heat starts to come out.

Last edited by motosyco; 04-15-07 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-07, 11:08 PM
Wink

C heck what has the elements on there. Can be in the 24V wire.a short, Or a stuck relay or sequencer. That turn the elements on

Old 04-19-07, 10:34 AM
well... i saw what the problem was, part of one of the heating coils was always on and glowing red hot. so i took it out and looked at all the connections and re-seated them but when i put it back in to see what part of the coils were hot it touched the side of where it seats in to and arced it self to it and arced the fuse. so now i need a new fuse and still have to figure out why only part of the coil was always on.

Old 04-22-07, 11:33 AM
can any one help me figure out why only half of one of my heat coils are getting red hot.

Old 04-22-07, 11:40 AM
Wink

Use a meter to see why. Can the stat not be wired for 2 stage. It sounds like it is not wired right R to G dont turn the AC on. just the inside blower. Go over all the 24v wire schematic that came with the unit and the tstat you put in

Old 04-22-07, 11:51 AM
the thermostat is not even hooked up right now. all the outside wires haven't been touched. i think that the contactor is bad but i don't have a meter to check. going to try to get one from work tomorrow and see.