Heat Pump vs. Oil Furnace

Old 05-02-07, 06:29 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump vs. Oil Furnace

I am completely replacing my heating/cooling. I am considering 3 options:
1. New Oil furnace with variable speed blower, New Central Air 5 Tons 13 SEER (You may get 14 SEER with the variable speed blower), Zone Damper System for two zones. Cost: $8k

2. 16 SEER (two-speed) dual fuel Heat Pump, Oil Furnace, Zone Damper System for two zones. Cost: $10.5k

3. 16 SEER (two-speed) dual fuel Heat Pump, Zone Damper System for two zones, Fan Coil (water coil that will provide the system with a secondary heat source), oil-fired water heater to replace the electric water heater and provide the domestic hot water. Cost: $12k

I have a 5 year old electric hot water heater. I purchase about 900-1000 gallons of heating oil at $2.40/gal. I live in NJ.

Does anyone have any approximation as to how much each upgrade would save annually? What are your thoughts in general.

Old 05-02-07, 09:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

First go to http://warmair.net and compare fuel cost for what you want to do.

First Id say no way put a furnace and 5 ton AC Hp in a home on a zone control damper set up . You have to by pass to much air . Over the years have found it just dont pay. Put two units in . They will pay you back.

For sure you want the V/S blower on the units . Go for a seer of 15 or better. Im not to hot on the 2 speed compressors . Might look into the 2 compressor units like a Xl19i that will also give you a better HSPF on the units

Id still stay with a new electric hot water here. If you go for a seer of 15 or over and new water tank you can get a tax credit from the IRS

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: