Should I replace Heat Pump and with what?

Old 05-19-07, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I replace Heat Pump and with what?

I have the original heat pump in my condo (small 660 sqft) and it is coming up on 20 yrs old. It is currently empty of freon and the emergency heat never worked. I have no idea when it was last filled. I talked to an HVAC guy and he stated I should just relace the unit rather that fill the Freon as there must be leaks. He stated that he would replace it with a Ruud unit for $3600. He also stated that I have 1/8" piping and all new units have 3/8", so I should go with the ruud model that is specifically for 1/8" piping. So I need some feedback as to what course I should follow, as I have no idea if Ruud is a high quality unit.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-07, 10:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Brands are not as important as who installs them.

Get multiple quotes. Have them do a Manual J calculation on your condo. This calculation will determine what size units you need.

Ask these people for references and make sure they are licensed and bonded.

Old 05-20-07, 02:40 PM
What about the issue with the older 1/8" pipes and all new units requiring 3/8". The guy I talked to said that most HVAC techs will tell you that it will be fine to hook up a newer unit to older size pipes, but that I would be losing a good deal of efficiency by doing so.

Old 05-20-07, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You would need to go up to the larger size line set if you get a heatpump that uses 410a (Puron). You cannot use Puron refrigerant with the line set you have now.

Old 05-21-07, 01:57 PM
Wink

Boy I dont know of any unit that has a 1/8" line. The small heat pumps can go to 1/2"gas and a 1/4"Liq. What did you do for heat if the electric didnt work???? Get 3 bids on this job for sure . Id stay with the R22 it will be made till 2030. thats about all we put in still around here. We look at Ruud as about the bottom of the line. Its like a unit that builders use its cheap