No heat No A/C

Old 06-05-07, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No heat No A/C

I have a Lennox thermopump which, when turned on to heat: the fan turns on, the compressor does not turn on and there is no hot air generated. When turned on to A/C: again the fan turns on, the compressor does not turn on and there is no cold air generated. My husband and I opened the heat pump casing this weekend and found the following: a hot scroll compressor and a buzzing sound coming from the compressor. We turned on the heat pump to A/C, the fan turned on but a buzzing sound came from the scroll compressor. (I have a video clip of the buzzing sound if anyone is interested)

The breaker/fuse did not trip. The buzzing noise is coming from the compressor as far as our ears can tell. We heard the buzzing sound once we pushed the black switch inside the thermopump located above the compressor (I guess it is like a test switch for technicians to see if the thermopump goes on).The outside fan turns on once we pushed the black switch.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-07, 11:43 AM
Wink

The outside fan turns on once we pushed the black switch
What did the compressor do???? You sure the Buzz is not just the contactor???? Is the capacitor ok and good????

Old 06-06-07, 05:40 PM
Model number?

Should on the outside of the unit.

does the black switch look something like this?:
http://www.dnagroup.com/contactors.htm

Ed, could be a new scroll that turns off the compressor but allows the motor to run.

Jossie, turn off the power to the indoor AND out door units. Cool the hot scroll with a low stream of water from a garden hose until it is cool to the touch.

I'm thinking bad compressor or very low on gas.

Model number?

Old 06-06-07, 08:17 PM
No heat No A/C

Here is some information about the heat pump:
Model # = ZR34K1 - PFV - 230
BTU = 36 000
with a Copeland Compliant Scroll

I also have uploaded an .avi file of our "buzzing noise" - you can watch the "action". Just click on the following link and you will access the thermopump file (MVI_0764.avi)
http://www.fileup123.com/uzinokcafl.html or if you prefer the zip version access the following link: http://www.fileup123.com/txyabwtsfl.html

CiiTech: the switch does not look like the ones in the link - watch the video if you like

Ed: the compressor did not do anything when the fan turned on and we pushed the black switch...the video will let you hear the buzzing noise..

thxs

Old 06-06-07, 09:09 PM
Wink

If the compressor was that hot it should be off on safety. Is the capacitor good???? Do you feel any buzz if you put your hand on the compressor?

Old 06-07-07, 05:14 PM
Sounds like a contactor coil trying to pull in.

Does the black switch look anything like this?

http://members.cox.net/canon01/contactor2.jpg

Old 06-07-07, 07:42 PM
No heat No A/C

Hi Ed: How can I tell if the capacitor is good? Is there a test or sound I can look for? (We have a dual capacitor by the way). Does our capacitor work since the fan does turn when we push the black switch?? As for the buzzing, I will let you know if it is the compressor buzzing or not by placing my hand on it. When I place my hand, should I expect the buzzing to decrease or should I feel the vibrations on my hand?

Hi CiiTech: the black switch is exactly the same as your link below. What do you mean that a coil is trying to pull in? I know there are coils in a compressor but how can I test if the coil is trying to pull in? What exactly does this mean? Is there something visual I can see or a test or something I can hear to determine this? If it is the "coil trying to pull in", is this something I can fix? Or is it a certain piece I need to change?

Thanks for all your support - it is extremely appreciated!!

Last edited by jossie; 06-07-07 at 07:49 PM. Reason: forgot something