Inside air handler not blowing

Old 06-07-07, 07:20 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Inside air handler not blowing

I recently moved into a home with a heat pump. I've never had a heat pump before.

Anyway, with summer approaching I have switched the system from "heat" to "cool". At times I notice the house is not cooling. The outside unit will be running but the inside air handler is not blowing air.

Is this normal for a heat pump system at times?

When this happens I see the temperature on the programmable thermostat is above the temp I've set for cooling. A light on the thermostat is on which tells me the system is trying to operate.

If I turn the thermostat off, let things set for a few minutes, then turn it back on the system works as I expect. The outside unit runs, the inside air handler circulates the cool air, and the house will cool down.

If this is not normal, what some of the typical things that would prevent the air handler from starting properly?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 10:07 PM
Wink

The outside unit will be running but the inside air handler is not blowing air.
The outside unit runs, the inside air handler circulates the cool air, and the house will cool down.
Boy what is what??????When it runs and blowes air. Is the big copper line cold and wet,the small copper line warm to hot by the unit outside????is the air filter clean ,the coil clean inside??? Will the fan go on and off at the tstat .

Yes anytime you call for cool the inside fan should run on a H/P. just like any AC

Old 06-16-07, 09:48 PM
M
Hoover93,

Last summer my heat pump did the same thing. The outside compressor and fan were working, but the fan inside wouldn't run....sometimes. I would come home to a hot house and find that the line was frozen from air handler to compressor. I would turn thermostat to off, turn fan switch on, and let just the fan run till the ice was gone. Then turn back to "cool" and fan to "auto" and it would work fine for perhaps a day, sometimes a week, sometimes longer, but it would eventually freeze up again. I left the fan switch ON for the remainder of the summer. Winter...no issues, as long as the thermostat was in the heat setting. Now that summer is upon me again, my problem has returned and my fan switch is back to "on".

I have been searching online for similar problems but no luck till tonight. I learned tonight that I have something called a heat sequencer that controls the fan. I am going to try changing that as soon as I find out where it is.

Old 06-17-07, 01:51 PM
C
Not normal

Your heat pump works like a central air unit in cooling. And in heat it flips everything to heat the inside and try to cool the outside.

Sounds to me like either the fan motor is bad or the fan capacitor is bad. Turning it off for a few minutes maybe long enough for the motor internal overload to reset and allow the fan to start again.

But it could also be a tstat issue.

Mike, a heat sequencer controls electric heat. Turns heat off when it gets to hot and back on when it cools off. Keeps the house from burning down if the fan is not running.

Some units have switches to keep the fan on until the temps gets cool enough (safe to not start a fire) regardless of what the thermostat says.

Old 06-17-07, 08:41 PM
M
Angry Still I'm confused....

Thanks ciitech,

I'm sorry for sounding like an idiot, I would just like to know why my air handler only works when switched to on. i can't depend on the "auto" position because the fan occasionally doesn't kick on. I don't know what controls the fan....thermostat, sequencer, contactor????? I only know that all is ok if I let the fan run continuously. I don't want to!

Mike

Old 06-18-07, 05:07 PM
Wink

There is a blower relay or a blower relay on the board in the indoor unit. this is what turns the fan on. If the tstat calls for fan at fan on or you turn the tstat down for more cool . its the same relay.

Old 06-18-07, 06:56 PM
M
Smile Wow! Thanks Ed,

I just went inside my air handler for the first time! There is all sorts of stuff to go bad in there. From my fan, I've got a red, black and a violet wire....two orange wires go to a capacitor which I assume is a start. Red is unused, black goes to terminal 1 of a black thing, and violet goes to the black of incoming power. Another slightly bigger black thing has M1-M4 on the terminals...sorry for the high tech terminology. I've been in electronics/electricity for 25 years but have never delved into ac.

I figure the cap is bad...I didn't know that the fan had one... It works fine as long as it isn't asked to start all of the time.

Mike