Heat Pump Question

Old 06-19-07, 11:06 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Heat Pump Question

Hi everyone,

We have bought a home that has a Carrier heat pump on it. We live in the Dallas TX area. Summers are above 100 (usually 115ish) and Winters can get below 32 for several weeks.

The Carrier looks VERY old and the previous owners have had lots of problems fixing it and said there electric bill sometimes ran 1,000! (averaging $550 over the year according to the electric company) (2 people, 1 story, 1976 home with storm windows, 2400 sq. ft.) So I am assuming the utilities got so high because the heat pump was having issues and maybe running constantly? (don't know though)

Anyway - we want to replace it. For our climate is an AC/Heater better or a Heat Pump? If it's a heat pump is it okay to get the regular kind or should I spend the extra or the Geothermal? Vertical or Horizontal install?

Any advice is appreciated. Our previous home had a new 12 seer Trane AC - 3000 sq. ft, 1 story, 5 people and our monthly billed averaged 325.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-07, 12:05 AM
Wink

It comes down to . Will you stay in this home for over 10 years?????
Id say look into the Geothermal there. Dont go well to well for sure. Cost to much to keep it clean. All we put in here is air to air heatpumps. Too many rocks around here As you run the AC a lot go for one with a seer of 15 or over . That will give you a HSPF 8.05 . Also go with a V/S blower inside.

Old 06-20-07, 08:32 AM
D
What do you mean by "well to well"? What does it matter if I will be in the home over 10 years? I hope to be but ya never know these days....

Thank you for you replies.

Old 06-21-07, 01:00 PM
Wink

Well to well--- Some Geothermal units use from one well and put the water back in the other one.
Some put a lot of pipe in the ground and run a water mix through them for the unit to get the ground heat and cool.
Others put the copper condenser lines in the ground.

Most of the time you have to think about the pay back on what it cost to put a new AC and heat unit in a home. thats why i said if you will stay in the home for 10 years it will pay you to put the GOOD STUFF in the home. You will get a return on the $$$$$ you spent.

Old 06-21-07, 03:54 PM
C
Geothermal

Here's a link to all things Geothermal:

http://www.geoexchange.org/

I'm doing an exploratory injection well for my geothermal system this weekend. Last piece of the engineering for the project.