Outside Unit Not Running

Old 06-27-07, 09:40 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Outside Unit Not Running

I have a split-system, the inside unit is working, the outside unit is not. The outside unit smells very hot. Any ideas?

Thanks--

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-07, 10:08 PM
C
Outside unit, no fan or compressor running?
If the unit is hot?
That would mean your outside fan is bad and not cooling the refrigerent this would cause the compressor to run but then would go off on thermal overload.

I'm taking the educated guess you have a bad outside fan motor.

You should turn off the A/C and just leave the inside fan on.
Call for repair.

Old 06-27-07, 10:39 PM
T
Thank You

THANK YOU for a quick response. Neither the fan nor compressor seemed to be on. It definitely was hot though, also no sounds emitting from the unit either. I did turn off the A/C and left the inside fan running(hopefully will get some comfort) and also called my HVAC guy @ 12:00 AM If it is the fan motor, any idea about cost? Once again THANK YOU One other thing, I am not to bad in the mechanical dept. Is there a way for me to find out for sure if the fan is bad? I wouldn't mind getting a head start on getting it fixed. Especially this close to the weekend and 90+ temps on their way.

Old 06-27-07, 11:12 PM
C
If the system is hot,
It had to run something, You may feel the top of the unit where the fan is bolted on is that hot? If so then more than likely a bad fan motor.

To check the compressor if it is out on thermal overload.

Turn the breaker off to the outside unit, you do not want any electricity.
I don't want you shocked! LOL!
open up the panel where you can get to the compressor,
Is the compressor hot?
If so, It's probably out on thermal overload take your water hose and cool it off, it may take 15 minutes with a trickle of water cooling over the compressor. You can take a towel of ice and put it on the top of the compressor. The top of the compressor is where most thermal disks are located in the compressor.

Once cooled to a certian level you can test to see if the compressor will run,
by turn the circuit breaker back on

if by chance it runs

Take a screw driver and try to spin the fan blade,
be careful you pull your screw driver out of the way in case the fan motor starts to run.

If not
does the fan blade spin freely?

if your compressor runs but your condensing fan motor is bad and you need cooling bad.
Then you can take your water hose and put (Mist) on the condensing coil.
This will remove heat from the Coil in place of the fan.
This will only be temporary and tomorrow you would need to get the fan replaced.

For Cost everyone is different. A fan motor could range from 250 to 400.

Old 06-28-07, 12:01 AM
T
Thanks

THANKS for all the info. I guess I will be late for today if HVAC guy has a busy schedule. Oh well, I always did say I liked learning new things. Looks like it is "put up or shut up" time for me. I will keep you posted on my progress. Again, THANKS

Old 06-28-07, 05:54 PM
Wink

Can just let the AC off for tonight . Fan on inside. In morning see what starts or trys to run in the morning. If fan dont and compressor does give the fan a push if it starts then need a capacitor. If the fan runs and compressor does. Does the big copper line get cold and wet , small copper line hot to warm. if not can be low on freon. This has to come back to the compressor to cool it.

Old 06-30-07, 12:33 PM
T
A Big Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone. It is a good thing I devloped patience overnight The HVAC company I use was running two days behind on service calls and it was getting hot in our house. After the info I had received from the forum and the unbearable heat. I headed for our local HVAC supply house with a list of potential parts I needed(fan, contacts, capacitors, etc...) You never can buy enough parts the first time around While I am there my wife calls and tells me the HVAC guy is there and is finishing up after only being there 15 minutes. I fear the worst. All I could think was, short trip, bad news. Turns out he fixed the problem in the 15 minutes he was there. Can we say CAPACITOR. Could you imagin the looks on the guys faces at the supply house if I would have had to bring all that stuff back. LOL. Anyway, THANKS This entire forum is really cool!!!!